Back from Cozumel dives -Vince read this...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shadydiver

Reaction score
Just got certified, 11-14-04 at Dutch Springs, PA. I left for vacation on the 19th, and know for sure that I am 100% addicted!!! You want to hear about some damn nervosa maximus.. I went on a cruise and had initially signed up for an "advanced two tank dive" in Cozumel and then changed my mind after my certification dives due to some minor examples of what can happen wrong underwater if you are not trained properly and comfortable with what you are doing! Problem was, the beginner scuba dives were already booked so I had to stick with the advanced dives if I wanted to dive at all.

Got on the boat, got briefed by the divemaster. "We are doing our first dive drifting a wall, 80' approximate depth, with two smim thru's" . I was :censored: my pants on the boat ride out to the site, but as I thought about what I was doing, I simply told myself that I will only do what I am comfortable with. We did a walk off entry, 3-4' swells, 8 divers in the group. Fortunately, I hooked up with a diver on my cruise the day before who has 140 dives under his belt that was willing to take me on as his dive buddy. It was absolutely insane!!! The current was strong and I felt like a helicopter just heading where I wanted to go down there. The swim thru's were a little hairy, but well lit and only about 40' long. The first one was through the reef, "Santa Rosa Reef", from a bottom depth of 45' out the door to the abyss. It was breathtaking coming out of that cave and seeing the wall of coral, fish, and your sight fade into the blue. Vis was 180', we dropped down to 80' and enjoyed the show. The dive was incredible, sea life abundant, and the experience gained is priceless. As I got into the water, the actions took over, and it was a very natural experience. My dive buddy, and now friend, was on my fins the whole dive, we checked in often, and I was comfortable. Did a second drift dive, 45' bottom depth over sandy bottom with scattered coral and rock formations. Intorduced myself to inverted drop ins behind the rocks to spy on the fishies and bugs, and enjoyed the hell out of this dive as well. Yep, I'm addicted. Going Tuesday to dive with my instructor in a bay to look for some things on the bottom. Jersey is a big change from the Carib, but I love it and can't wait til Tuesday. Starting AOW/ intro to wreck diving on the 7th, and I have two offshore dives scheduled for March in this class.

Vince, just do what you feel comfortable with, bottom line. If you don't feel comfortable, go to more classes in the pool. Practice your skills, and keep hold of your fear in a managable manner. I have made a rule for myself and my diving. If I ever wake up with no fear of diving, then I hope I got good pics from my last dive because it will have been my last. Do what feels right man, and good luck.

Shady

great post...sounds like you had a great time...we're looking forward to getting some bottom time in the carib soon as well. only 1 more pool class, then it's off to someplace warm after the holidays to complete the ow dive!

Sounds like a couple of great dives. Going to Cozumel in January for a week can't wait. Planning on 2-3 dives per day
As a new diver what kind of bottom times were you getting. Just Curious

jbisjim:
Sweet..
Stuff like that makes it all worth while and gets you hooked.

welcome to the addiction

Would love to go back to Coz in January, but don't think that it's happening, gotta sell a lot of awnings and signs in order to pull that one off. I am trying to get the kiddies to Disney this Feb also, (where I am looking into diving the epcot aquarium, heard it's a blast.) Keep me posted and feel free to put me on your email list-- Shady824@comcast.net

Thanks,

Shady (Steve)

P.S. - I own an awning and sign business and I do a lot of highly customized sewing so if you know anyone looking for any custom bc alterations, custom dive bag requirements, or any other goofy, unique, dive stuff sewn or made - givem my email - I love the sport, I love a challenge, so by default I love divers and will do them right...... Thanks Jim

Glad to hear you had a great time! Do the Epcot dive, you'll enjoy it. They have a really informative tour but the best part is waving at the tourists from inside the tank! See if you can get your kids to do the hokey pokey with you through the glass, see how many other guests you can get to join them :)
Ber :lilbunny:

doos:
I'm heading to Coz for 2 weeks in Jan as well; will be my first time in the Carib. Any Cozumel advice, dive related or non?

I will definitely go back there on a stand alone vacation, (not on a cruise). I dont know if you have your own gear or not, but down there from what I saw they do not use pony bottles. (I do, always will and will never dive without it with a single tank if at all possible.) They use an octo, so if you have your own gear and you normally use a pony, you may want to get your spare reg put into a second stage port so that you can provide a buddy with air in a situation. You can take an empty pony on a plane, you jst have to get it filled once you get down there. Anyway, i had a blast, the divemasters seemed experienced and thorough, and the water is clear most of the year. There is a great little coral/rock beach just up the street from the port that offers some kick butt snorkeling. I don't know if they rent equipment at the bar there, which is also kool but it would be a little ridiculous to rent snorkel gear at a bar, so take your stuff. Have a great time and let us know how it was.

shady

doos:
I'm heading to Coz for 2 weeks in Jan as well; will be my first time in the Carib. Any Cozumel advice, dive related or non?

There's a loaded question! LOL Go to the Caribbean section under the subsection Cozumel. Lots there to explore.

Bottom line: if you're boat diving (and why wouldn't you), it's all drift diving, so just relax and go with the flow: don't try to fight the current.

Just to be on the safe side, if you don't have one, buy and learn how to launch a safety sausage (preferably orange) and a whistle.

Have fun! I'm looking forward to Cozumel over the Christmas holidays. 22 days and how many hours to go before I board my flight.... :dazzler1:

Back
Top Bottom