Sealab I’s 50th Anniversary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Akimbo

Just a diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
This isn't Vintage "Scuba", but a lot of divers followed Sealab closer than the space missions. July marks 50 years since the US Navy's Sealab I experiment began. The habitat itself, or what's left of it, is on display at the Man in the Sea Museum in Panama City Florida.

Here are some videos:
US NAVY DEEP SEA UNDERWATER COLONY - SEALAB I - Digitally Restored Documentary Film - YouTube

UNDERWATER MILITARY BASE - SEALAB II - U.S. NAVY - OCEAN LAB - Vintage Documentary - YouTube

Sealab III - Undersea - Living on the Sea Floor - US Navy Aquanauts Experiment 1969 - YouTube

Reactions: D_B
Thanks for the post and the links, but I am not sure what you mean by it isn't vintage "Scuba". They did us a lot of Scuba gear in SEALAB I. I think the standard DH regulator that they use was the Aqua Master. They also had other gear, but I can't remember the details.

I have read everything I have found a bout SeaLab, but I have never seen those videos before. Those are great videos. Thanks again.

Thanks for the post and the links, but I am not sure what you mean by it isn't vintage "Scuba...

It was definitely vintage SCUBA, but not Scuba as most accept the meaning today -- did I wiggle out of that one??? :wink:

For the benefit of newer divers reading this, the acronym SCUBA (Self-Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus) was coined by Dr Christian Lambertsen for the closed-circuit pure O2 rebreathers he developed. The noun and verb Scuba became accepted somewhere around the 1980s.

Because the visibility was so good on Sealab I the divers in saturation could be un-tethered using semi-closed circuit rebreathers. Doubles wouldn't last long enough on open-circuit at 200'+. There were a few open-circuit dives for quick tasks and a lot (all?) of the surface support dives were open circuit on double Aluminum 90s and US Divers Royal Aquamasters.

Last edited:
Akimbo,

Thank you for this post. In 1966 I was not doing well in college, and the draft was knocking on my door, so I went to the U.S. Navy recruiter in my hometown of Corvallis, Oregon to see whether I could enlist. I could, but would have to wait for a number of months to do so. I then went to the U.S. Air Force recruiter, and asked the same question. He said that I could enlist immediately in their delayed enlistment program, complete my term of college, and go into the U.S. Air Force in January. So I signed up with the USAF. I then received my draft notice just a few weeks later, and went back to him. The recruiter said to go ahead and take the Army physical, and that the USAF would charge the physical off on the Army. So I was USAF all the way. Had I gone into the Navy, UDT and the SeaLab projects were on my list. They still intrigue me.

This film is narrated by Jack (Jackie) Cooper (for SeaLab I). "Cooper served in the United States Navy during World War II and remained active in the reserves for the next several decades, reaching the rank of Captain." While he is a great actor and film director, he did not do it as well as Cousteau in his movie World Without Sun, even though SeaLab I was way ahead of Cousteau. In the film, Bond (I think) is quoted as saying that at the bottom, SeaLab I equalized to 95.1 psig absolute. If you divide that by 14.7 psig/atmosphere, you got 6.46 atmospheres absolute. Subtract one atmosphere for our atmosphere, and that's 5.46 atmospheres of sea water. Multiply that by 33 feet per atmosphere sea water and you get an equalization at 180.5 feet. Cousteau's Conshelf I was at less than 33 feet, and Conshelf II was at 33 feet depth. Cousteau did put down the Deep House, at about 90 feet of sea water, and they made excursions to greater than 300 feet. But SeaLab I was a part of the U.S. Navy's Man in Sea Program, and as such did more scientifically to advance deep saturation diving than the Cousteau efforts.

I have found several citations (which are not linked) to SeaLab I, but this is the only paper I see, and it is part of a symposium. Titled Atmospheric Contamination in Sea Lab I, by Raymond A. Saunders, it talked about the diving and the atmosphere problems that they had on SeaLab I. There are a lot of papers available on SeaLab II, and if you use Google Scholar, you can see many of them. A very interesting topic is Studies of Divers' Performance During the SeaLab II Project, by Bowen, Andersen and Promisel. Here is that abstract:
Field studies of the three 10 men teams of divers participating in the SEALAB II project were undertaken. During each team's 15 day submergence at 205 feet, psychomotor tests and a vision test were conducted in the water, and a mental arithmetic test in the habitat. Compared to base line performance (dry-land and shallow water conditions), performance on the mental arithmetic test showed no deterioration while performance on the psychomotor tests showed considerable deterioration. Many divers found that their in-water work activities proceeded slowly; among other causes of a more physical nature, concern for one's safety may detract from the amount of attention one gives to the task at hand. The most active divers in the SEALAB group were those who indicated that they were least fearful and least aroused by the conditions and who were helpful, gregarious, and made least telephone contact with the outside world.

There was still more science and papers written about SeaLab III. These Man-In-Sea Projects really did advance the science of diving, and it is wonderful to celebrate their 50 years.

SeaRat

PS--Yes, it is vintage diving too for SeaLab I, as they were for the most part diving DA Aquamaster regulators and twin 90 cubic foot tanks, when they weren't using semi-closed circuit rebreathers or supplied gas to the SeaLab I habitat. The Royal Aquamaster had yet to reach the field at that point. I found the tethered supplied gas units to be very interesting, as they had a rebreather bag on each side of the hoses (one out and one in) for recirculating the gas. One further note is that Healthways copyrighted the word/acronym "SCUBA" for their double hose regulator, and that was in 1957. U.S. Divers Company used the word "Aqualung," and apparently got into a spiff with Sportsways when they used the word "Waterlung" for their regulators. Go figure...

... Had I gone into the Navy, UDT and the SeaLab projects were on my list...

I have a similar tale. Diving was my life since Sea Hunt and by high school graduation in 1969 the choice was to try for a student deferment or go in the military. Sealab was cancelled by then but there was still a lot of R&D. I wrote to Captain Bond and several other well publicized names on Sealab III and everyone told me that they only accepted exceptional divers with years of experience.

I attended a seminar in San Diego the spring before graduating high school and met Bev Morgan who was an exhibitor. I had only seen photos of Kirby Morgan heavy gear hats and light-weight masks and couldn't hide my enthusiasm when seeing the booth. Bev was very gracious and spent a lot of time with me. I told him that I was considering going in the Navy and dreamed of getting in the Man in the Sea Program. He mentioned that they were desperate for divers with an electronics background. That simple statement changed my life.

Diving was a secondary rating in those days so you couldn't be semi-guaranteed diving training in an enlistment contract, but you could get electronics school. I figured I could take a shot at diving school later and at least come out with electronics skills. Long story short, three requests for diving school had been denied while in electronic school. I submitted a fourth request and wrote to everyone I could think of that might be able to help, including Bev.

Orders for Second Class Diving School came through just before I was supposed to leave for another duty station. I was probably never so elated in my life. Through a somewhat bizarre set of events I ended up assigned to the Bathyscaphe Trieste II as an electronic tech and diver until I had enough time in the Navy to take the test for second class petty officer -- a prerequisite for First Class Diving School. After getting the First Class Diver pin I could be transferred to the Mark II Deep Dive System for saturation training aboard the USS Elk River, the support system built for Sealab III.

We all heard scuttlebutt about top secret work in Mare Island aboard the Halibut and Sea Wolf submarines, but I was never read in to "The Projects". Blind Man's Bluff was published decades later which made everything clear.

I had suspected for years that Bev Morgan influenced my last minute approval for diving school. We had spoken dozens of times over the years but the subject never came up. I finally wrote him a letter thanking him for the electronics school comment and asked if he remembered my plea for help. He answered that he "mentioned my name to some of the right people".

I probably would have accepted a job offer from Cal-Dive and ended up one of the early casualties in the North Sea if it weren't for Bev and the Vietnam War. Instead, you poor guys have to endure all my sea stories. :shocked2:

... PS--Yes, it is vintage diving too for SeaLab I, as they were for the most part diving DA Aquamaster regulators and twin 90 cubic foot tanks, when they weren't using semi-closed circuit rebreathers or supplied gas to the SeaLab I habitat. The Royal Aquamaster had yet to reach the field at that point...

I never knew that. I always thought the "Aqua-Master" (1961 catalog) with the crown on the label was the "Royal Aqua-Master" (1963 catalog). I see the "Royal-Master" in the 1963 catalog. Was any of them ever formally labeled the "Royal Aqua-Master" in the catalogs?

...One further note is that Healthways copyrighted the word/acronym "SCUBA" for their double hose regulator, and that was in 1957...

Interesting, they must not have filed a law suit to protect the copyright because it would have failed due to such a well-documented history of prior use. Unlike Patents, the expense to file for a Copyright is cheap.

Last edited:
Akimbo,

Dr. Sam Miller had a very interesting write-up on the history of diving titled What's In A Name. It details the term "SCUBA" and how Healthways came to own it for a while.

The Royal Aquamaster is a descendent of the DA Aquamaster, and in between was the Royal Master. All these regulators had the crown on the bottom box. The Navy Experimental Diving Unit did not test the Royal Aquamaster until 1972, and so it was not available for use until after then for U.S. Navy divers. I'm almost certain that the regulator pictured in the SeaLab I film was the DA Aquamaster.

I really enjoyed reading about how you got into the diving field. We all have different stories to tell. Any stories about the Mark II Deep Diving System and SeaLab III?

SeaRat

... Any stories about the Mark II Deep Diving System and SeaLab III?...

There were only 3-4 guys from Sealab III still there by the time I came along. One was our leading Master Diver, Master Chief Chip Hurley. Another was Petty Officer Jay Myers, the youngest Aquanaut on the Sealab III team and the leader in my first sat dive. Chief Cyril Tuckfield was running the dive locker as his last duty station before retirement. Tuck was a legend.

He made the buoyant ascent from 302' from the submarine the USS Archerfish in 1959 with Captain George F. Bond, the father of Saturation Diving. His long friendship with Bond lead to his being on all three Sealab projects, either as a support diver or an Aquanaut on Sealab II. I lived in the enlisted quarters across the street from the dive locker and would spend hours talking with him. Aside from being one of the nicest and most modest humans you could ever meet, he would share any bit of knowledge he had accumulated.

The main thing that I learned from all three men was Sealab III was being driven way too fast. If Barry Cannon had not died, others would have. The complexity of jumping from 200' in Sealab II to over 600' for Sealab III was too much for the time available. Both the habitat and the deep dive system were a disaster waiting to happen. The physiology was no problem at all, but the systems were too complex, too untested, and ultimately dangerous.

None of these three men believed that Barry Cannon's death was caused by an empty CO2 absorbent canister. They knew Paul Wells (the guy who maintained them and was ultimately blamed) too well for that to be true. Several people would have noticed the rig was too light, Cannon would have been too buoyant when he hit the water, and the Mark IX rig performed so poorly that the reduced breathing resistance probably would have been an improvement since the divers had to ride the bypass anyway.

It is amazing that Cannon and Bob Barth didn't pass out and drown from hypothermia on the previous lockouts to fix the habitat. The hot water suits weren't working and I don't think they really understood how much faster heat was lost at 600' than 200'. Washington actually stopped us from making dives to 600' on our way to over 900' in 1972 because we didn't have gas heaters. Fortunately several divers onboard cobbled some heat exchangers together so the Operational Evaluation could continue on the Mark II Deep Dive System.

Some theories included Cannon being electrocuted, or at least shocked. It wouldn't take much of a jolt for a diver in those stressed conditions to pass out or have a cardiac arrest. Even when I was using the very same bells after a massive overhaul, there was still 440 volts inside the bell and the ground fault interrupters tripped on a regular basis.

The Mark II Deep Dive System taught me one of the most important lessons of my career. Backup and safety systems can conspire to make rapid and accurate diagnosis of a problem unlikely. On the Mark II, part of it was poor integration, part poor human factors, and part bureaucracy. We had the time to tame the beast unlike the poor Sealab divers.

Fortunately for me, the semi-closed rigs were retired with Sealab. We just used open-circuit Kirby Morgan KMB-8 Band Masks, steel 72 bailouts, and the early DUI hot water suits. Even then, it was like sucking through a long straw on my deep lockout, but we knew it and could control exertion.

The Mark II DDS had an 850' working depth. We could make excursions in the PTC (Personnel Transfer Capsule or bell) from that saturation holding depth to a little over 1000'. Two more Mark II systems were built for the catamaran submarine rescue vessels, ASR-21 the USS Pigeon and ASR-22 the Ortolan. Both have been scrapped and my old ship, IX-501 the USS Elk River, was sunk in target practice.

Last edited:
The noun and verb Scuba became accepted somewhere around the 1980s.

Hmmmm... I must have been an "early adopter" since we used it in the 60s

... The Navy Experimental Diving Unit did not test the Royal Aquamaster until 1972, and so it was not available for use until after then for U.S. Navy divers...

Interesting. This report is dated a few months after I left the Navy. The Trieste II got special permission from Washington so we could use the Conshelfs because leaking av-gas would eat corrugated hoses in a dive or two. All they had were Conshelfs when I got to the Mark II DDS, which were used for [-]lobster[/-] training dives. :wink:

For people who haven't looked at the report, here is the abstract from link above:

The military specifications for open circuit SCUBA regulators provide a mechanism by which commercial vendors may submit their regulators to the Navy Experimental Diving Unit for testing for possible approval for U. S. Navy use. Accordingly, U. S. Diver's single hose regulators Calypso III, Calypso J, Conshelf XII and Aquarius and double hose regulator Royal Aquamaster were tested in September 1972. Due to the non availability of government test chambers, the regulators were tested at U. S. Divers test facility under the supervision of a government engineer. All five regulators were found to meet the requirements of the appropriate military specifications, and all were approved for U. S. Navy use.

I wonder why the Navy seems to have settled on the Conshelf over the Calypsos and Aquarius? As far as that goes, was there any difference in the second stages besides decals by that time?

Interesting. This report is dated a few months after I left the Navy. The Trieste II got special permission from Washington so we could use the Conshelfs because leaking av-gas would eat corrugated hoses in a dive or two. All they had were Conshelfs when I got to the Mark II DDS, which were used for [-]lobster[/-] training dives. :wink:

For people who haven’t looked at the report, here is the abstract from link above:

The military specifications for open circuit SCUBA regulators provide a mechanism by which commercial vendors may submit their regulators to the Navy Experimental Diving Unit for testing for possible approval for U. S. Navy use. Accordingly, U. S. Diver's single hose regulators Calypso III, Calypso J, Conshelf XII and Aquarius and double hose regulator Royal Aquamaster were tested in September 1972. Due to the non availability of government test chambers, the regulators were tested at U. S. Divers test facility under the supervision of a government engineer. All five regulators were found to meet the requirements of the appropriate military specifications, and all were approved for U. S. Navy use.

I wonder why the Navy seems to have settled on the Conshelf over the Calypsos and Aquarius? As far as that goes, was there any difference in the second stages besides decals by that time?

The second stages are exactly the same.

The Conshelf first stage is the same as the Royal Aqua Master. It can handle cold water better and is also a more rugged regulator than either of the other two piston regulators, but I am guessing the parts comparability and the longer history of diaphragm first stages had the strongest influence.

There was also a non-magnetic Conshelf made for NAVY EOD.

Back
Top Bottom