The Science of Weight + Neutral Buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The title of this post makes it sound a lot more exciting than it's going to be, but I'm curious about body composition and how it impacts the weights you dive with to achieve neutral buoyancy.

Diver Profile:
100+ Dives
36 years old
190lbs
20% Body Fat (Acceptable)
58% Body Water (Standard)

I'm a calm diver, always relaxed in the water. I usually end Dives with plenty of air left (the same as the dive masters who are leading the tours). I share this because one theory is poor breathing technique and/or muscle stiffness, which can cause the need to carry more weight.

But with a 5mm shorty, and 5mm boots, I need 13lbs of weight. (5.89kgs)

And every dive shop I dive with is always adamant that I am wrong, that I should only need 4lbs - that I'm too stressed or breathing incorrectly etc.

At the end of the day, I don't really care what others think or say about the weights that I use.

But I am curious if there is something to do with body science that impacts all of this.

Appreciate any thoughts or theories from the community.

Cheers,

Joe

yes the less muscle, more fat and decreased bone density a diver has, the more weight they will need. Lung volume might affect things a little too. However, I have seen at least one young man who was not fat, was reasonably fit and simply required considerably more lead than you would expect.

13 lbs is not a whole lot of lead for saltwater and an aluminum tank and some wetsuit.

You won't get much info, since equipment dictates required lead far more than body composition. At the end of the day, to be neutral the negative things must balance the positive things. Common negative things: lead, backplate, steel tank, regulator, fins, reserve air.
Common positive things: AL80 tank, wetsuit/drysuit, many padded BCs.
Some depends on the water: most (all?) people are positive in the ocean, but I would guess about half are slightly negative in fresh water.

You need what you need. Can you hold a safety stop with nearly empty BCD, nearly empty tank, and breath normally? If so, then you're correctly weighted for that equipment combination.

The often overlooked variable in the science of weight is trim. I can't overstate this enough. If you aren't flat, you'll have to have more weight to compensate for a small upwards thrust. Of course, once you stop kicking, you'll have to add air to compensate for the lack of upward thrust. Once underway again, you'll have to vent air to maintain the same level.

Trim first. Make sure your thrust from kicking is only horizontal. Then, it is what it is. I've posted weight titration elsewhere, but if you aren't familiar with it, I'll be glad to repost it here.

I agree with the Chairman. Trim first.

But to your question, I have known outstanding divers who needed far more weight than people think they should.

I have known outstanding divers who needed far more weight than people think they should.
I'm an above-average diver, with a very buoyant personality. :D I usually need 14 lbs without a wetsuit on an AL80. I have been known to dive successfully without even a bladder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom