What to look for in used BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not against buying used however, know what you are buying as a lot of people on Craigslist or eBay want new prices for old gear. Check out the BC to see if is good but don't pay too much for it. At a certain price point it makes more sense to buy than overpay for used.

Bob

I second what Bob has said but may I add don't pay more then 5/8 of what the product is worth new a quick search will tell you what the price is of something new

It is only a bargain if it works so I would check the inflation (power and oral) if possible,check it retains air (by leaving it full for a while) and check the overpressure valve (by squeezing it manually the valve should open).

It looks like it has been pretty well cared for but that is no guarantee of condition internally.

I found a used BC at what looks to me like a good price. I think it is a fairly basic model, similar to one that I rented on a recent trip to the Keys.
Good suggestions already posted on checking it out. I have a more basic question - is this a/the BCD you really want, or are you interested in it primarily because you are ready to start buying your own gear, this one seems to be like what you have rented, and it is less expensive than a new one? Just curious.

As an aside, my usual approach in buying used gear - eBay or elsewhere - I don't ever pay more than 50% of the lowest 'new' price I can find online. Used once, used 10 times, used 100 times - doesn't matter, it is still 'used'.

how much? this thread is useless without knowing which bc and how much the guy wants. What was said above is a huge thing to think about.
What I tell divers is to look at their end goal and work backwards for gear. If you want to dive sidemount because you think it's cool, or you have joint problems, or you want to do cave diving, or whatever, then why invest in backmount? If you want to do backmount wreck diving, why invest in a singles BC that can't come with you on that journey? Weigh the pros and cons of all of the gear.
That BC, regardless of use, I wouldn't pay more than about $50 for. I have no use for it, it isn't a "great" bc, it's a solid stab jacket, but it's still a stab jacket, big, bulky, expensive, not versatile, etc etc. If that's what you want, then great, if it's super cheap and you'll get your moneys worth saving on rental fees until you can afford the bc you want, then great, but if it's more than about $75 I'd be thinking real hard about whether it is worth making an investment.

I don't know anything more about it than the brand, Sea Quest. The owner is asking $95.

Since I have been certified for less than a year, it is difficult for me to know what my end goal is, other than to do more diving, though I doubt that caves are in my future. I'm self-employed, so money is always an issue. Mostly I have felt that buying my own equipment will save rental fees.

Take your time and look around. I was looking for a used tank to buy and for $100 I got an AL80 which is no bargain but it came with a jacket bc, a set of fins, boots and gloves, a 7mm farmer john, a dive light and a dive knife, and a dive and regulator bag. Some of the stuff I ended up using quite regularly.

I value the extra stuff at $50 to $100. As tbone indicated I wouldn't spend more than $50 on an older used jacket bc if I were to buy one. Bargains are out there so keep looking or make an offer on this one if you really want it You may be able to get a whole lot more gear if you have time to wait.

For the record, I think $95 is too much for that BC (or any used BC for that matter). I would offer maybe $50-60, if I was feeling generous. Most used BCs I've bought for $40 or less. Here's a link to a thread about buying used gear (not just BCs but all kinds of used gear) for the future.

Buying used, a discriminating shopper's primer

Offer him what you want to pay. If he says no and it's on Craigslist next month, and you haven't found BC, call him back and try again, an so on...

Almost all my diving has been a a tight budget so sometimes I have had dive gear that was not my first choice. When I have the money and the inclination I upgrade. Their gear does not make anyone good diver.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom