BC/Reg recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So, I knocked out the basic cert plus the enriched while in Grand Cayman and got in a few extra dives. Great fun!

Given that I travel to a fair amount of places in which to dive, I'm thinking of getting my own BC and reg. The dive shop was all Scubapro vest type BC's, and they seem good, but bulky. The DIN mounts seem much more substantial and reliable than yoke mounts, and easy enough to use an adapter to go back to DIN.
Just thinking out loud.

Thanks for any input.

Ultra.

Soft/lightweight backplate and wing would be solid option.
In terms of regs you need to decide if you will be diving in cold water or just tropical.

Soft/lightweight backplate and wing would be solid option.
In terms of regs you need to decide if you will be diving in cold water or just tropical.
Thanks Grant, I'll take a look at the wing BC's. I anticipate primarily tropical waters, with some opportunity to dive in the Med....we layover in Barcelona and Minorca. However, the latter two areas would likely be summer/fall diving only.

In that case nearly any reg will work, cold is really <6c. Agreed on DIN, I keep a set of adapters in my travel kit.

Although I use Apex due to local service, I'd probably say Scubapro is the most universal reg around the world.

So, I knocked out the basic cert plus the enriched while in Grand Cayman and got in a few extra dives. Great fun!

Given that I travel to a fair amount of places in which to dive, I'm thinking of getting my own BC and reg.

Thanks for any input.

Ultra.
I have a Sub Gravity aluminum back-plate, 26 lb wing and adjustable harness for my travel BP/W. I love their adjustable harness, it's clean, simple and no plastic parts. They have good solid gear and great customer service. They also have 3 sizes of weight pockets and back-plate trim pockets. Paragon Single Tank Package - SubGravity

I would suggest SP Mk25 and two G260 for regulators. A light back inflate BC like the SP Hydros is simple and already setup for you. It will take some time and learning to setup a true BP/W that is comfortable. While possible, not always the best option for everyone. It will definitely grow with you, but a back inflate BC will serve you very well for the next 5 plus years. Then you will have the knowledge and experience to setup a BP/W that you like and is comfortable. Just my two bubbles worth!

Edit: I recommend a higher end regulator set because it will last forever and buy once, cry once. You will not need to replace it for any reason in the future. It can be serviced anywhere you find yourself diving.

Thanks for any input.

Ultra.
If you travel to Europe often you may want to buy there as the prices are usually less expensive. You can also purchase from a European shop and have it shipped to the U.S. The shipping is usually reasonable on regulators but may kill the deal on a BC.

If you dive often in Europe then DIN is the standard, other places usually use yoke so a DIN to Yoke converter is handy. You can also call the dive location and ask what tank valves they use. I think more and more places are starting to use DIN or at least convertible valves.

If something happened to my gear and I needed to start over I would choose this. It is a tremendous value. You can also add a fabric plate if you want to make the BC even lighter.

I would suggest SP Mk25 and two G260 for regulators. A light back inflate BC like the SP Hydros is simple and already setup for you. It will take some time and learning to setup a true BP/W that is comfortable. While possible, not always the best option for everyone. It will definitely grow with you, but a back inflate BC will serve you very well for the next 5 plus years. Then you will have the knowledge and experience to setup a BP/W that you like and is comfortable. Just my two bubbles worth!

Edit: I recommend a higher end regulator set because it will last forever and buy once, cry once. You will not need to replace it for any reason in the future. It can be serviced anywhere you find yourself diving.
Thanks much Ken for the comments. Is it common to set up the kit with an identical reg. for the alternate? It would seem to make sense. Thanks. Ultra.

You don't have to, buy its nice. I like the Dive Rite, DGX, and Hog sealed diaphragm regs.

If you don’t mind spending a lot of money go with Scubapro hydros and MK25 with G260’s.
Scubapro can be serviced anywhere in the world.

If you are on a budget go with DGX aluminum BP/W complete rig for $399 and get either their Xtra piston reg set complete with two second stages and pressure gauge, or the same deal with the sealed diaphragm option. Both of those are DIN.
They also sell service kits to the end user so you can have extras on hand to service your own stuff where ever you go.
Deep 6 is another such option for regs and parts.

I guess it depends on how hands on you are and how much you are willing to learn about DIY service. Some people prefer valet service and don’t care about that. They have the money and prefer to just have a shop do it.
But, there is the possibility that the shop may botch the service, it’s not unheard of.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom