Preppin' for Trip 7

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never go to Bonaire without one. It can a real life saver either at home or in Bonaire

Last edited:
They work great though I was concerned whether that particular tire had it's Nitrox card. Since every tire was a different make and model on the rental beater I am assuming they would each need their own cert. As far as I could tell none of them had one.

I'm more concerned with the reckless gas blending and the fact that the tire likely had no idea what it's MOD was

I'll be on Bonaire from Feb.4 to 11. Have truck and 3rd time there. Plan to do the park, unlisted sites North (Taylor Made, Candyland), Nukove, Karpata, La Dania's Leap. etc., as well as Lighthouse and thereabouts down south. If sea conditions permit I'll get Bas Tol to take me to the East Side. If You want to send me a msg here Darook, perhaps we can meet up for some dives.

Observations so far:
  • The rooms at Buddy have been upgraded and are quite nice
  • The wind is really ripping which is making entries a little more challenging as expected at some sites
  • Viz is in the 50-80 foot range this trip
  • I am showing 77 degrees consistently on my computer, my buddy's shows 79
  • My 3mm has been just fine so far
  • The Dutch are not impressed with the Super Bowl
  • It took me 7 trips here to finally drive up through Gotomeer. Quite beautiful.
  • Dove Nukove yesterday. Meh
  • The BBQ buffet at Rum Runners is an awesome meal after a day of lots of diving and not much eating!
  • Fills at BDR have been 2800-3200 PSI and 32-34%
  • The coral looks quite good as I have noted the last few visits
  • The Buddy Burger and Blennie Burgers are really good
  • There are lockers now in the dock side gear room at Buddy
  • All of the lockers are full so we are not using them
  • Didn't really see any locks on them either
Catching up with Murky Waters for a couple dives in a bit.

Thanks for the update!

• The wind is really ripping which is making entries a little more challenging as expected at some sites
  • Viz is in the 50-80 foot range this trip
  • I am showing 77 degrees consistently on my computer, my buddy's shows 79
That's what we mostly experienced in late December and early January too. We were feeling chilly on our 5/4/ mm suits after 45 minutes or so, but we dive super-slow.

The Dutch are not impressed with the Super Bowl

No, but you should see them go crazy around the island when Holland is playing in the the World Cup! The Dutch hold the record for playing the most World Cup finals without ever winning the tournament but that hasn't dampened their fanatical enthusiasm.

Dove Nukove yesterday. Meh

Funny how dive site experiences change from day to day. My wife and I dove Nukove one day in late December and found it to be truly magical... perhaps our favorite northern dive ever on Bonaire. Then we returned a week later with another couple and had a "meh" experience similar to yours. Just curious, did you dive north or south? South is a much better experience. It's similar to Candyland, only even "bigger" in my opinion. North has significant dead coral as the reef changes shape as it nears Playa Frans. It's not as steep to the north and there aren't as many dramatic hard corals, canyons, and ridges etc.

Thanks for the update. Is Murphin back at the dive shop? When I was there last summer he was off island having a medical procedure done. Murphin is a great divemaster; good eyes, patient, speaks about 5 languages and enthusiastic about what is underwater. I will sometimes go out for a boat dive at Buddy Dive just to have the opportunity to dive with him.

By the way, the rotisserie chicken at Blennies isn't too bad either. Cheap, fresh and generous serving size. Not a bad place to eat after a night dive. The tables right on the water are great in terms of the view and breeze.

Thanks for the update!

That's what we mostly experienced in late December and early January too. We were feeling chilly on our 5/4/ mm suits after 45 minutes or so, but we dive super-slow.

No, but you should see them go crazy around the island when Holland is playing in the the World Cup! The Dutch hold the record for playing the most World Cup finals without ever winning the tournament but that hasn't dampened their fanatical enthusiasm.

Funny how dive site experiences change from day to day. My wife and I dove Nukove one day in late December and found it to be truly magical... perhaps our favorite northern dive ever on Bonaire. Then we returned a week later with another couple and had a "meh" experience similar to yours. Just curious, did you dive north or south? South is a much better experience. It's similar to Candyland, only even "bigger" in my opinion. North has significant dead coral as the reef changes shape as it nears Playa Frans. It's not as steep to the north and there aren't as many dramatic hard corals, canyons, and ridges etc.
We went south. Not a bad dive but not extremely special. I think timing is everything on the really special dives, if the right critters show up it is great!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom