Dive Light Recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dermochelys

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was hoping to get some thoughts from the group on a couple of dive lights I have been looking at. I'm looking for something that will fulfill the following...

1) Less than $75, I don't dive often (once every year or two) so I don't want to invest a ton of money into a light right now

2) Small so it will transport well

3) A light that could be a primary during good conditions and perhaps a back-up if I invest in a better light later. I've never used a light during daylight dives, but I have had a time or two when I thought having a light would be "nice" to look in a hole or something.

4) A good quality light that is reliable

With those requirements in mind, I was looking at the....
UK SL4 eLED (Underwater Kinetics Sunlight SL4 eLED Dive Light) for $59 and the non LED version (Underwater Kinetics Sunlight SL4 Dive Light) for $36.

I've also seen a L1 version of the eLED one, but I'm not sure what the difference is between the two.

I've read a number of post on the forum about these lights and for the most part it seems like people like them. However, most of the posts are fairly old, so I was hoping for some up-to-date information. Right now I'm leaning toward the eLED one as it's on sale right now.

Any thoughts would be great. My next dive trip is in 2 weeks to Oahu, so I need to make a decision pretty quick if I'm going to be ordering online.

One last question...other than personal preference, does color make that much of a difference? I'm thinking yellow is better to find the light in your bag, underwater in case you drop it, etc., but then I know how reds and yellows change at depth, so would black actually be a better choice?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
I actually don't mind a regular size / type of battery....with a standard size I at least know that I can get a replacement battery if needed while travelling.

Last edited:
keep in mind, with the above mentioned lights, the twist to turn them on actually is closing the seal further (unlike one particular light by Hollis that is "backwards"). The "C" cell lights are very good, but somewhat long. I recently have been using the 18650 cell backups, like the DGX one, and they are excellent as they are able to be put in a soft Goodman handle... they throw a modest light that just might be the ticket for daytime "clear" water..The 1K lights are quite bright and if you are diving warm clear water, may not be a good choice, but I use them in the Great Lakes regularly...

I have UK SL4 lights from many years ago, and they were good lights. I improved them with aftermarket light heads, and I carry them as backups sometimes...

Does this light have a switch or is it a twist on? I worry about using a twist on, as I just know one time I'll twist too far and end up flooding the light. With that in mind I've mostly been looking at lights with switches.
It is a twist on, but that should never be a problem. It takes many twists to open it completely, but only the few at the very end of the job turn it on or turn it off.You would have to make a serious effort to flood it under water.

keep in mind, with the above mentioned lights, the twist to turn them on actually is closing the seal further (unlike one particular light by Hollis that is "backwards"). The "C" cell lights are very good, but somewhat long. I recently have been using the 18650 cell backups, like the DGX one, and they are excellent as they are able to be put in a soft Goodman handle... they throw a modest light that just might be the ticket for daytime "clear" water..The 1K lights are quite bright and if you are diving warm clear water, may not be a good choice, but I use them in the Great Lakes regularly...

I have UK SL4 lights from many years ago, and they were good lights. I improved them with aftermarket light heads, and I carry them as backups sometimes...

Thanks for the great info! I live in Northern California, and while most of my diving has been while on vacation, having a light that I can use in my area would be great as well.

Back
Top Bottom