How soon to take AOW after OW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I get that. I respect your knowledge and expertise that I've read in the forum. I'm just too swamped with my regular job and my OW class right now. I'd rather have this conversation over a beer.

I'm signing off, but the answer to your question is that the industry is trying to use something to indicate some level of competence in more stressful conditions. You know this. Is it a perfect one? Obviously not. Again, let's address that over a beer. Or when I have more energy. I still haven't processed all my pics from Hornby Island over the weekend (where my current profile pic was taken).

Slow and deliberate is definitely my plan. I'm hoping to get in allot of dive time this year, and by the end of the year feel proficient. I have no delusion that finishing advanced open water will make me proficient. And I do hear everyone loud and clear that AOW really doesnt give new skills. But it is an inexpensive way to get 5 fun dives in under the care of an instructor. So I dont think its a total waste. To be honest, I dont know if/what I would specialize in, so seeing something new should also make it worthwhile.

At the moment though, I'm just going to focus on getting in some quality dive time. I stopped in to a different dive shop today to feel them out. Out of the gate I felt 100% comfortable with them. No high pressure sale in any way shape or form. In fact they told me that I should get some dive time in as well before considering more training. I appreciated their honesty and candor. I think I'll do as they said, and then plan to resume my training with them as I feel I am ready to progress.
Glad to hear you had a better experience than in the other dive shop - some shops seem to be so high pressure it might put a lot of people off.

@TheHuth For the record, none of the agencies require AOW as a prerequisite for Rescue diver anymore (if they ever did). Some shops will tell you they do but that is bad information. Check the agency websites and you'll find they (some, not all) only have a requirement of a certain number of dives prior to rescue but none require AOW.

SDI Rescue Diver Course | SDI | TDI | ERDI

PADI Rescue Diver Course

NAUI Specialty Courses

SSI Scuba Schools International

Last edited:
Trust your instincts; your plan seems solid. Everyone is different, so learning plans differ. I do support the training, practicing/refining/getting experience, then training again approach you suggest; that is exactly what I am doing.

Best wishes

GJS

And I do hear everyone loud and clear that AOW really doesnt give new skills. But it is an inexpensive way to get 5 fun dives in under the care of an instructor. So I dont think its a total waste.

There are instructors that take AOW seriously and will actually teach you something, the problem is that they are few and far between. Jim Lapenta and NWGreatfulDiver on Scubaboard are two, both have materials they share in addition to their classes which, unfortunately, are not in your area. If you look in your area you should be able to find an instructor that doesn't treat AOW like a joke or a ticket punch.

If you want a fun dive under the care of an instructor just hire an instructor to dive with you as a buddy and critique your dives. You may find out it is cheaper and you won't get the card that some think make them an advanced diver.

Bob

SSI teaches their Rescue (Diver Stress & Rescue) as a specialty so you can take it anytime after OW. NAUI Rescue can be taken that way as well, so shop the Agencies for what you want.

As for the limits, what the agency advises or a boat or club might require is their rules, however the California boats I've been on do not have any such restriction. Not to say that you shouldn't, expanding your personal limits should be slow and deliberate. You do not want to get in over your head, so to speak, and deal with an issue at a depth you are not comfortable with.

Bob

I believe that california is a taxi state when it comes to diving. Once you hit the water you are not their problem. Other states are not taxi states and they are responsible for you till you dock again.

The only answer is "it depends". If you're comfortable diving on your own, without supervision of a DM/instructor, then go dive. If you feel like you need a little more time with an experienced person to give you valid feedback and helpful instruction/hints/whatever, take the class immediately.

I have no intention of ever taking an AOW class and I've done deep dives (~100 fsw) night dives, wreck dives, drift dives, shore dives, you name it.

Any sales person that gives me high pressure sales tactics gets called on it right then and the shop manager/owner (if different) might also get a complaint from me. I don't deal with it well. I already know what I want and don't want, I don't need someone else to try and tell me.

EDIT: I haven't taken Jim Lapenta's class but it's the only one I've seriously considered. Very good course outline he gave me a couple years back. I can only imagine it has gotten better over time, given his reputation and his desire to produce quality divers.

EDIT 2: I have yet to find a boat that won't take me on a deep dive, even without an AOW. I have had several that said they might require me to hire a DM (not in southern CA) or do a checkout dive with them first, but never had one deny me outright.

I have had places require a dive in a given time and log book checks for those that only have OW cards. I had one quick check my log with my AOW card. With the master diver card no one cares to check anything.

I have had places require a dive in a given time and log book checks for those that only have OW cards. I had one quick check my log with my AOW card. With the master diver card no one cares to check anything.
My point was sometimes it may be needed but most of the time it isn't required at all. As such, taking the AOW isn't really a matter of necessity but desire and the timing of when to take it is irrelevant.

There are instructors that take AOW seriously and will actually teach you something, the problem is that they are few and far between. Jim Lapenta and NWGratefulDiver on Scubaboard are two, both have materials they share in addition to their classes which, unfortunately, are not in your area. If you look in your area you should be able to find an instructor that doesn't treat AOW like a joke or a ticket punch.
Both Jim and Bob/nwgratefuldiver (nwgratefuldiver.com) have great materials. I actually recently purchased Jim's book and am currently reading it. My intent is to combine lessons from there as well as Bob's website (I took UW photography from Bob - he's helped me as a diver more than anyone else by a long shot) to go beyond the required standards, as I feel strongly that my students should get a great value for their money. So, ask instructors how they go above and beyond the standards. How is that integrated into the program? Etc. As others have stated, you have good instincts, and follow those.

For a little story, when I was starting out (say 20ish dives), I was diving with a former instructor who pushed dives that I wasn't ready yet (high currents in the middle of the Puget Sound, diving from a boat where no one would be staying topside). I backed out as I wasn't comfortable. That pissed him off, but that was a good thing. No one should push you so far out of your comfort zone without you wanting to go there yourself. If I hadn't followed my instincts on that dive, I might have had a really bad day.

If you want a fun dive under the care of an instructor just hire an instructor to dive with you as a buddy and critique your dives. You may find out it is cheaper and you won't get the card that some think make them an advanced diver.

Bob

Really GREAT idea! If Pacific wilderness is the shop you just went to, many if their instructors go out fun diving on Wednesday nights at Veterans Park in Redondo Beach.

Night dives...even without an advanced certification (whoda thunk?). Ask anyone to watch and critique you. Everyone is happy to help. Well...almost everyone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom