Dive Light Recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a brand new ikelite gamma flashlight black in colour i won in a photo contest. I have to many lights already. The two lights your looking at have 116 lumens or 113 lumens. The ikelite gamma is 200 lumens. I would like $80usd for the flashlight. I also have a used cr123 charger and batteries from another flashlight. I would like $20usd for the charger and batteries. CR123 batteries are not cheap to buy so that is why i went with the rechargeables.

As stated before, the DGX that uses the 18650 is a quality light. If you are looking for something less "techy," try the Princeton Tec League Dive light. League | Princeton Tec

It is 260 lumens (actually very bright, you'll realize that most flashlight lumen stats are BS), runs on AA and is very durable and very reasonably priced--you could buy two with your budget. I've had and lost two of them (my fault), but they are so good I kept buying them.

Oh, I should say, that the run time on the League is great since it's LED, over 20 hrs. I am actually buying these for utility lights for camping and in the truck since they are rugged and kid proof.

I have used a number of lights, including most of the above.

DRIS 1000 lumen original. Takes 3 C cells, or 3 AA in holders. This has been my back up light for probably 4 years with no problems. Twist on/off.

DGX 600. Same brightness as above. My primary hand light for a couple of years until recently. Nice size, uses 1 x 18650 and a twist on/off switch. It has seeped twice over the space of about 10 dives. This caused the Li-Ion to outgas and made opening difficult and left a mess inside. Both times I have been able to save the LED and electronics, but I don't trust it underwater anymore.

I have had issues with magnetic switches before, but the latest issues had to do with alignment after converting the reflector to wide and diffuse for videography. I am no longer doing that.

I have tried 2 new lights on my last dive. Both worked well, but I only have one dive with them yet. Both have slide magnetic switches. One with variable intensity, 2 x 26650 5200 (true) mAh cells and a little brighter than the above lights. This is a BrightNights 1000 lumen light. The seller has been eager for my feedback and seems interested in producing a good light. I'm discussing a shorter version for hand mounting. The other new light is a Brinyte DIV 12 light. Slide magnetic switch with 3 distinct modes. A single 18650 battery, and not quite as bright as the BrightNight.

For video I use 4 Archon D11V lights for my video rig.

None of my lights cost more than $90, and most around the $50 range.

Highly recommend you get something with at least 500 true lumens.

I have used a number of lights, including most of the above.

DRIS 1000 lumen original. Takes 3 C cells, or 3 AA in holders. This has been my back up light for probably 4 years with no problems. Twist on/off.

DGX 600. Same brightness as above. My primary hand light for a couple of years until recently. Nice size, uses 1 x 18650 and a twist on/off switch. It has seeped twice over the space of about 10 dives. This caused the Li-Ion to outgas and made opening difficult and left a mess inside. Both times I have been able to save the LED and electronics, but I don't trust it underwater anymore.

I have had issues with magnetic switches before, but the latest issues had to do with alignment after converting the reflector to wide and diffuse for videography. I am no longer doing that.

I have tried 2 new lights on my last dive. Both worked well, but I only have one dive with them yet. Both have slide magnetic switches. One with variable intensity, 2 x 26650 5200 (true) mAh cells and a little brighter than the above lights. This is a BrightNights 1000 lumen light. The seller has been eager for my feedback and seems interested in producing a good light. I'm discussing a shorter version for hand mounting. The other new light is a Brinyte DIV 12 light. Slide magnetic switch with 3 distinct modes. A single 18650 battery, and not quite as bright as the BrightNight.

For video I use 4 Archon D11V lights for my video rig.

None of my lights cost more than $90, and most around the $50 range.

Highly recommend you get something with at least 500 true lumens.

Thank you for your great post! I'm starting to feel a bit overwhelmed by choices!

It is 260 lumens (actually very bright, you'll realize that most flashlight lumen stats are BS), runs on AA and is very durable and very reasonably priced--you could buy two with your budget. I've had and lost two of them (my fault), but they are so good I kept buying them..

I agree about the lumens numbers and how they can be manipulated. One thing that attracted me to the SL4 eLED was that on their website they show the light loss curve on their spec sheets. I'm highly dubious of lumen ratings, but at least Underwater Kinetics puts that information right up front to show what you're getting as the batteries drain down.

Does anyone know if these DRIS or DGX lights have spec. sheets? I can't seem to find them.

DGX MAX is a very bright 600 lum light with a Mag switch and battery and battery charger for 49.95 from Dive Gear Express. It is a well built light and if you buy anything else ( like a $0.75 HP spool) and it qualifies for free shippingn($50+). On all my orders they have shipped that day with delivery about 2 days later. One thing about the light; lubricant the twist switch ring with some spray lub periodically or else the position detent locks up, a little lub once in a while and it works very smoothly.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their recommendations and thoughts. I ended up getting a great deal on a UK SL4 eLED L1 from my LDS. I'll be using it on my trip in 2 weeks and will re-post to let everyone know how it worked out and my thoughts on it.

Thanks again!

Consider the Dive Rite BX1, it is a bit more than some of the others but comes with an 18650 battery and will also use 3xAAA's in an included holder which is nice.

Back
Top Bottom