Bungee types - again ;)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, I do not think I know 'better' I think I am experienced enough to know myself..

I'll admit to going through the same delusion several times over the last quarter century of diving. Now, I'm just focused on maintaining an evolution and not getting stuck in a comfort-zone inertia.
The only thing, I'm glad, I know for sure is that this time next year, I'll probably have changed my mind on many things. I'll also be a better diver. For as long as I can say that every year, I'm doing OK.

likewise

Still: If you start to think people on the internet know more than you know yourself, it's time to go offline. :wink:

We can all only offer advice, expecting people to listen to it, however, can only be called megalomanic.
We are never entiteled to be right. Not me, but neither anyone of you guys :wink:

Last edited:
I see that I reacted to friendly to the attitude here.

If you are just not able to discuss your technique and reasons for using it, than just shut up about it.
Turning this into something personal will not benefit you.

Interesting thread. How about floating loop bungees to thick orings, bolt snaps, triglides, 6-8mm bungee failing under real situations, I don't see it. If a failure would be critical, just add a boltsnap at the neck.

Interesting thread. How about floating loop bungees to thick orings, bolt snaps, triglides, 6-8mm bungee failing under real situations, I don't see it. If a failure would be critical, just add a boltsnap at the neck.
The boltsnap at the neck was one of the first things I removed, after realizing the bungee would always carry the tanks on it's own without problems.

What 'breaks' on floating loops it the connection holding it to the webbing or D-ring.
Most of the time just a single little not has to come undone for that.

If you than remove it from the valve at any time it will most likely disappear behind your back for the rest of the dive.

More dangerous is if you did something wrong during setup and the loops can get loose where connected to the plate or webbing between the shoulder blades.
Should never happen, I have seen it happen on dives however.

Last edited:
On his video series he shows sliding (floating) loop, not (fixed) loop.

Did he publish any other video where he sets up a harness? His 3rd video "BCD and Harness training workshop", at 14:00 clearly shows a fixed loop.

Did he publish any other video where he sets up a harness? His 3rd video "BCD and Harness training workshop", at 14:00 clearly shows a fixed loop.
His first video with the Stealth was removed some time ago.
Called "Loop bungees are the way to go", or something like that.

He showed in detail how use and attach floating loops exactly the way of the default stealth setup from the manual.
He also showed in detail how you can add the loops to any Razor style harness - I think that's the reason he removed it, he sells that knowledge now.

What 'breaks' on floating loops it the connection holding it to the webbing or D-ring.

This is an example of what you write that alienates people. You speak authoritatively on issues that you have absolutely zero credible experience to discuss. You are wrong... but you present information as if you were an expert. You are not an expert.

How you wrote this sentence implies that sliding loop bungees 'break'. They do not. This has been explained to you. But you phrase your hypothesis and assumptions as if you spoke from a factual basis.

For the record, there has been no trend or observed issue with properly configured loop bungees breaking. You will not find this issue mentioned anywhere.... because it doesn't exist.

You may have once dicked around trying to play with a loop bungee for a couple of dives... but you did it wrong. You used the wrong bungee type, in the wrong place, with the wrong tensions... and it sounds like you can't tie a reliable knot either. That's utterly YOUR failure, not the system.

Seriously... what sort of sidemount 'expert' can't figure that 3mm bungee is woefully under-strength or tie a reliable overhand knot. I'm surprised with this lack of 'wisdom' and technique, given your stated 1000 dives sidemount experience. It reduces your credibility drastically... as does most of the garbage you write.

Now, personally, I couldn't care less what drivel you spouted, but I do care that someone honestly looking for guidance might come to this thread and misunderstand the nature of the fantasy you perpetuate. I wouldn't want someone to think they were making an 'informed' decision based on some deluded internet fantasist.

Please do the forum a service... and clearly state where you are only hypothesizing. In truth, you'd garner a lot more respect if you asked about things you didn't understand or didn't have experience with.

I've been diving sidemount far longer than you, with many more dives, more frequently and routinely on vastly higher levels of diving challenge. I teach sidemount at levels you could only aspire to. But I still ask and research what I don't know. That's what I did with loop bungees... and every other modification, tweak or method that I've trialed and/or incorporated over the years. Having asked..learned the issues, options and the finer-points, I put the method into effect. Not for a handful of dives... but over a reasonably significant period, so that I can reasonably eliminate any issues that stem from a lack of familiarity, skill deficit, specific inexperience etc etc.. Sample size of dives and reducing the 'human factor' is important.

I take responsibility for every gram of advice I give on public forums. You said, or inferred, that you were an instructor yourself... so I am surprised you don't appreciate the value and ethics of that approach.

Give me a moment... I'll just run through the whole series again to find where he does configuration with a floating loop :wink: LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom