Bungee types - again ;)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah, you have the statistics, have you @DevonDiver.

If you just would put your experience to good use and think about it you would realize that every knotted bungee can (and will) open.
This will always happen if you do enough dives with it or stress test it, period!

I will probably remember this behavior and stop recommending you as an instructor and your site as a source of information.

You are totally out of line my frog-footed friend.

Last edited:
Bungees can fail, knots can undo. Thats why you check them before a dive. Then again if you are testing with the intention to test the failure point of something, then you will probably find it. Saying that something fails because you found its failure point (because you went looking for it) and as a result its unsafe is completely contrived.

Like I said... I was giving an example of why you alienate people 'fan-boy'. You are pest.....and you do the sidemount community a great disservice by passing off duff information and bad advice whilst hiding behind the pretense of being informed and knowledgeable.

You annoy those who try to help others, share good information and valid experience. In my mind, that makes you a no-hopper... and nothing more than a troll. I have no further interest in conversing with you.

The sad thing about evolutions in diving, as with the blossoming of DIR philosophy years before, is that it provides every sad, internet-bound, muppet with an excuse to adopt a dogma they don't truly understand and shout about it incessantly on the internet.

Last edited:
That is the way I test things @MSargeant
I have it fail, immediately first, then with improved setups and look for failure points.
Came up with the floating loop concept independently that way long before it was advertised.

In my opinion anything can fail, so you need to know your options not 'if', but 'when' it does.
That way you just shrug and cope if it happens instead of getting in trouble.

Last edited:
Like I said... I was giving an example of why you alienate people. You are pest.....and you do the sidemount community a great disservice by passing off duff information and bad advice whilst hiding behind the pretense of being informed and knowledgeable.

You annoy those who try to help others, share good information and valid experience. In my mind, that makes you a no-hoper... and nothing more than a troll. I have no further interest in conversing with you.
Perhaps you should ask those listening to my advice for that :wink:
Most are quite successful at using my advice to their benefit.

Bungees can fail, knots can undo. Thats why you check them before a dive. Then again if you are testing with the intention to test the failure point of something, then you will probably find it. Saying that something fails because you found its failure point (because you went looking for it) and as a result its unsafe is completely contrived.

"I made a CCR out of paper mache, tin foil and toilet rolls after seeing some pictures on the internet. It failed and I nearly died. CCRs always fail and are unreliable. Listen to me... I know."

Matt... it's not an argument you have to respond to. Anyone with an iota of common sense can see clearly what his agenda is. He doesn't have an iota of sense... so you'll never make any progress in stopping his drivel.

Ah, now that is starting again.
You mask lack of confidence behind fear, or is it the other way round?

I seem to have severely overestimated you for years now.

Give me a moment... I'll just run through the whole series again to find where he does configuration with a floating loop :wink: LOL
Steve did indeed use floating loops in a video of 2013 (the one that was mentionned here). He shows fixed loop in the workshops (2014), maybe there's also the floating loops there but I don't remember it (videos were long, watched them over a year ago, so my memory might fail me there).

Not that it really matters though, simply for the sake of completeness :wink:

Fixed loops are nearly identical to the single bungee setup, they just loose the boltsnap.
I think that unnecessary, since the boltsnap hardly even touches the valve.

Last edited:
Did a test descend today (something of a rescue drill, getting into the water before someone drowns, or something like it):
Had the heat-vest set a bit to high and was cooking in my drysuit, just wanted to get down fast.
I let the backmount buddys blocking the platform descend first and followed without mask, fins or tanks (hoses still strapped to them).
Clipped in the tank bottoms while dropping, closed the belt buckle (horrible task with 5mm gloves), slung the bungee, put on helmet and regulators and stopped at about 5,0m above 5,2m flat bottom.
'Ok' to the buddys and after about 20 meters I started putting on the fins, turned on the second valve and had to stop in the middle with one fin on my right foot to drop some sturgeon food in front of a waiting hungry mouth.
Untangling sturgeon food pouch and camera proved to difficult first, had to drop and catch the cam to save the food from getting lost early.

Next comes a small overhead part and I came to the thing I was really testing:
The light cable had wrapped around everything it could and I had clipped the bottom boltsnap through the loop.
Had to undo everything again to sort that out and accidentally (more like 'deliberate stupidity', was surprised when I realized I had though) dropped the light head through the bungee somehow.

So I unclipped everything on the left side again to get the light untangled after just about the whole 70m of overhead distance.
Had it ready in the helmet mount when reaching open water again. Backup light test replacing light test :rolleyes:

Anyway: It could only be untangled by unclipping the sidemount bungee several times while swimming, would not have been easy to do with loops that would have entangled in exactly the same way.
Though this was only a 'stress test' I need that as practice for underwater work where I sometimes have to drop tanks or other important equipment and as a preparation for emergencies (and it's a lot of fun, of course).

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom