Compass Mares Icon Net Ready

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grocio

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there,

If you are an Icon user, I would like to know whether you use the compass and what your experience has been so far. I am trying to use mine, but after setting a bearing, I cannot align the arrow with the square or triangle symbols, even if I had turn 90 or 120 degrees respectively; the reciprocal navigation symbol does not even appear after turning 180 degrees... This is why I wonder whether the compass might be faulty or I am not operating the compass correctly.

Look in the manual and do a recalibration (the online manual describes this at bottom of page 11 to top of 12). I'm heading to CCV in a week and was checking my compass and found that the reciprical was way, way off. I did a recal and it's now perfect.

That said I find that I can't hold a course in no vis. The compass is very sensitive and it's very hard to get the to stay at a steady reading. In good vis, I get it to the heading I want then look ahead and pick a landmark. When I get to that landmark I repeat.

Trying to watch the compass and swim a heading has been extremely hard for me (even with a manual compass). Now that I have perscription lenses in my mask maybe that will change. I'll try to remember to use my compass on my first dive at CCV and post the result.

Hi Kharon,

Thanks for the tip. I just did the recalibration. Although it has improved the performance (now I can see the reciprocal heading symbol, at least), it is still inaccurate for about 20 degrees, which is quite a lot.

Tomorrow I will give it another try (in the open air), see what happens, and post the outcome.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom