Recommendations for operators in Cancun?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'll be staying at one of those all-inclusive places with a big group of family Feb 23 - March 1. I'm the only diver and would like to sneak away for a couple of day trips.

I've searched the boards for recommendations and it seems like most of of them are located in Play Del Carmen (~1hr drive), Cozumel (even further) or Isla Mujeres (~1.25 hours including ferry ride). I won't have a car so these seem pretty far away.

I'm especially interested in:
  • Cenotes
  • Bull shark diving. This seems to be off of Cozumel. Too far from Cancun? Too late in the season?
  • Whale shark snorkeling. Too early in the season?
  • Any other good reef of wreck diving.
I'd prefer smaller operators and boats. Anybody have a group they'd like to recommend? Thanks!

All of your cenote dives will be south of Playa, your better ocean dives will be between Playa & Akumal and there is a nice wreck just off of Cozumel. If you aren't locked into that resort, it would be better to stay in Playa or south of it.
I recommend you contact Nicolas from CenoteXperience Nico & his brother Martin are great guys and excellent dive guides. I have dove with them for over 5 years and you can tell they really love what they do. Tell him Steve from Canada sent you.

If you aren't locked into that resort, it would be better to stay in Playa or south of it.

Thanks. I'm getting that impression. But we're locked into Cancun so I'm trying to make the best of it.

Check into dive ops in Puerto Morelos. It's about halfway between Cancun and PDC. A taxi down there shouldn't take too long and cost too much. Nice small town feel as well if you are into that.

I have just returned from Cancún. I was in an All Inclusive hotel.
There is one operator in Cancún AquaWorld. I did only a one day two tanks excursion (I did 6 tanks in Playa before going to Cancun). We went to the C58 minesweeper (25 mts depth) and The Grampin reef, only 40 minutes boat ride.
I did just that so, so far, I can tell you that everything was nice and safe.
I guess that AquaWorld has booths in every All Inclusive Hotel in Cancun. At least they had one in the hotel where I was.

I recommend you catch the ferry over to Isla Mujeres. There is a wonderful dive shop Casa del Buceo. They can help you with all the dives in the area and also Whale Shark snorkeling. They are a small shop with a maximum of 8 divers per trip. They are professional with excellent equipment. Check www.casadelbuceo.com

Check into dive ops in Puerto Morelos. It's about halfway between Cancun and PDC. A taxi down there shouldn't take too long and cost too much. Nice small town feel as well if you are into that.
try aquanauts dive adventures I liked them a lot. call crescent. she will take care of you.

I'll be staying at one of those all-inclusive places with a big group of family Feb 23 - March 1. I'm the only diver and would like to sneak away for a couple of day trips.

I've searched the boards for recommendations and it seems like most of of them are located in Play Del Carmen (~1hr drive), Cozumel (even further) or Isla Mujeres (~1.25 hours including ferry ride). I won't have a car so these seem pretty far away.

I'm especially interested in:
  • Cenotes
  • Bull shark diving. This seems to be off of Cozumel. Too far from Cancun? Too late in the season?
  • Whale shark snorkeling. Too early in the season?
  • Any other good reef of wreck diving.
I'd prefer smaller operators and boats. Anybody have a group they'd like to recommend? Thanks!

Well, Whale shark is too early in the year for that, it starts by July and it ends by September. For cenotes and shark diving you'll have to go to the Riviera Maya, either Puerto Morelos and Playa del Carmen. You don't have to stay in the area, it's just that you'll need to get up a little earlier to get there, use Diving Center Cancun with Lili, it's a nice dive shop with personalized service, they are in Cancun and they'll take you to the places.

Back
Top Bottom