Newb question - Weight integrated BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have integrated weight pockets. The pockets can be removed separately so it is possible to drop just one pocket. Actually if time s I can remove a pocket, remove a weight from it, and then ascend either holding the remaining weight or reinserting it and clamping it in. Sometimes I wear dive shorts. Fun exercise is to take off gear and put it back on. I remove weights and put int short pockets then easier to take off and don the equipment again. Then put weights back into jacket. Avoids the problem of being light and floating over heavy equipment.

Point is there is lots of flexibility in how much weight is shed and kept.

I think the number of people who get into serious trouble because they failed to drop their weights is a lot higher than the number who get into serious trouble accidentally losing a weight underwater. So OW courses try to make people remember they can drop their weights.

I've never understood an actual reason why you should ever have to do this. It should never get to that point ever! Too much user error has happened to get you to that point.

Or medical issue or boat is gone or an equipment problem or problems with buddy (medical or equipment or ) or ... Life is a two player game and mother nature is not always on our side.

Although I use other gear, I applaud your policy and recommend anyone looking into a weight belt to check out your belt. Eventually I'll own one.

Personally, I feel a diver should never dive with any gear they are not willing to ditch.

Bob
I would agree - my life is more valuable to me than any piece of equipment. I can replace every piece of equipment but I can not replace me!

I've never understood an actual reason why you should ever have to do this. It should never get to that point ever! Too much user error has happened to get you to that point.
I would never like to second guess what ha caused someone to be in this situation - the reasons are too many and too varied.
Or medical issue or boat is gone or an equipment problem or problems with buddy (medical or equipment or ) or ... Life is a two player game and mother nature is not always on our side.

Agreed - the list of reasons why someone might want to ditch weight are numerous. Even discounting user error, medical issues, boat problems and equipment problems that you mention we still have things like currents (rips/up/down etc), predators, weather, swell etc which may make a diver feel that he needs to be either more buoyant underwater to make their ascent or on the surface.

I have been using the MAKO belt ever since Dumpster Diver told my girlfriend about them. I own two myself as does my GF. I have referred numerous people to Dano. One is because the things work so well. Two is because of their policy.

It's kinda along the same lines that other than my TDI Nitrox class, which requires no dives, the SEI DRAM Rescue class which takes at least 1 full day of classroom, 1 full day in the pool, and two days of diving is my least expensive course.

I don't ever want money to be a reason that a student hesitates to take the Rescue Class. It's also the 1st class I recommend after Open Water. I see other shops charging as much as 350 bucks for a Rescue Class. Mine is 175 including books and cert processing fees.

For most people if all their weight is in the BC pockets you will end up with foot down trim. A tank mounted weight is an option. Some of the newer BCs have trim pockets, and of course there are backplates. About 6-8 pounds near your waist is ideal.
You have to deal with each person differently. Like the OP, my wetsuit is (farmer john) 7mm, with hood, etc. It is fairly new and I found my needed weight rose from 37 to 43 pounds. Yes, 43. 10 each in the BC pockets, 4 each in the two high up trim pockets, and 15 in the (pocket) weight belt. I have always been ever so slightly leg heavy, but not anywhere near enough to fool with tank weights or anything else. My trim is close enough to perfect as is.

I carry all my weight in the integrated weight pockets. Trim is reasonable with either AL80 or HP100.

With a 7mm wet suit + hooded vest in salt water with an HP100 we are talking 17 lbs.

Note that I wear a prescription bifocal mask. So if looking downward I prefer to be slightly head down since vision better if not peering off the bottom of the lens. More relaxing on the neck. But the trim is a matter of choice in my case.

Sounds like a good reason to not wear seat belts as well.

My point would be that regardless of what put you on the bottom with no options you can remember, dropping the weight belt is an option that is consistently overlooked in diving fatalities. In my initial SCUBA training and later in OW it was constantly drilled that dropping weight was the most effective to get to and stay on the surface. That is one reason it was imperative that you stay within NDL. Not that you shouldn't find another way to solve your issue, in fresh water with no weight belt or BC I would have had to ditch my rig, but one cannot get so task loaded trying to solve their problem that they don't remember to drop the weight.

Now as in the past it is the last resort however, by not keeping it at the top of the list of actions to be bypassed each time you find a possible solution, it is forgotten altogether.

Bob

Although I use other gear, I applaud your policy and recommend anyone looking into a weight belt to check out your belt. Eventually I'll own one.

Personally, I feel a diver should never dive with any gear they are not willing to ditch.

Bob
I agree

None, just use a weight belt.

It annoys me the number of people who have integrated weights and leave them in their BC and expect you to lift their gear or expect you to help put the weights in the pocket as they often struggle with thisf.

Just use a weight belt it is whole lot easier and you won't need assistance from others.

Back
Top Bottom