Newb question - Weight integrated BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheHuth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I think I already know the answer, but I'll ask anyways. What kind of weight do I use on a weight integrated BCD? I assume you can really use any kind you want. I assume the inserts that come with a BCD are empty, and you fill them based on your needs. Is that correct?

It looks like I'll need about 22 pounds in a worst case scenario (Salt water, aluminum tank, 7mm wetsuit with hood). The weight goes down from there. So that being the case, I'm probably going to pick up 4x4 lb weights, and 2x2 lb, and 2x1 lb. I think this will give me the most combinations.

Anyone have an opinion about this? Also, what should I expect to pay new and used for them. This seems like one of the few components that really makes not difference if its new or used.

With most you can use hard (cast) lead or soft (lead shot in bags) weights. You add what you need. I would separate the weight into integrated and non integrated (on a belt or harness).The reason for this is if you have problems and need to remove your equipment you won't go to the surface like a cork (you will probably only need to drop one pocket in an emergency to be enough to go to the surface

You provide the weights. Soft weights usually allow you you stuff the pouches heavier than hard weights. That's a good amount of weight, so check the spec sheet first before buying. You can also use a weight belt at the same time which some people like. As well as trim pouches on the BCD or trim weights clamped to the tank or tank bands.

You can make your own out of the lead shot you can buy at sporting good stores for shotgun shells, but it's kind of a pain to do and might not save you as much money as you think. Lead dust is bad in the house, and lead vapor (for people building custom hard weights) is much worse.

Look at your BCD fully! After a few years of diving I realized I had a few extra pouches on the back to stick a couple solid 2 lbs weights both left and right. I had also added two pouches right onto my tank bank strap as well that fit 2x 4 lbs lead shot bags. Already that's 12 lbs and I haven't even started to fill the "integrated" pockets up front yet. My front pockets are huge too. There are essentially 2 long slots per side meaning I effectively have 8 slots for 2-4 lbs weights. Figure out exactly how much your BCD can hold and then configure from there. I personally don't like a ton of weight on the front part of my jacket style BCD and I don't wear a weight belt at all now either. I keep enough on the front so that should I ever have to ditch weight there is enough to ditch to make a difference but not so much that it's clumsy and in the way during my dive etc. If you happen to be a drysuit diver at any point you'll likely consider ankle weights as well so that's more weight that doesn't have to be on your BCD. One final thing to consider is if you're using a steel tank or not. That will give you extra weight that you don't have to carry at all due to the characteristics of the steel tank. Good luck!

Normally I put 10 pound weights in each (velcro) pockets. If using the shorty I put some 2 pounders in there, and no weight belt.

The BCD supports up to 24 pounds in the quick release pockets, and 10 pounds in the back trim pockets.

I personally like my weight belt I find the bcd to heavy with all the weight in the pockets when lugging my tank for a dive usually I'm just about ready to dive I show up to the site more often then not already in my suit and my bc and reg attached to the tank just have to don my fins and mask and some other gizmos and I'm ready for the water so for me the lighter my bc the better I also find it easier getting into the boat when I take off my weight belt

For most people if all their weight is in the BC pockets you will end up with foot down trim. A tank mounted weight is an option. Some of the newer BCs have trim pockets, and of course there are backplates. About 6-8 pounds near your waist is ideal.

what bc? they're all different... Some like soft, some like hard. Cheapest way is if they'll take hard weights is to cast your own.

The best demo I saw for making a decision between hard lead and soft lead. Go to your dive store, hold 3# of soft at your waist and drop on your bare foot. Now do the same with the hard lead... (I personally would not). This may happen to your or someone else on the boat. After soft lead became available, I sold a ton of hard lead and converted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom