Steel tanks: How much haze are you comfortable with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

surface rust is not a disqualifying factor. Anything you do to further clean it is simply a matter of personal preference. A bigger question to me is....why are you using a steel 72? #toooldtouse
Nothing wrong with old steel 72s that pass hydro and VIP.

Perpetuating diving myths don't help anyone.

surface rust is not a disqualifying factor. Anything you do to further clean it is simply a matter of personal preference. A bigger question to me is....why are you using a steel 72? #toooldtouse
Why do ignorant people feel the need to pass on their ignorance?
There are few tanks I like to dive better than a 72, similar capacity to a aluminum 80, but cheaper, lighter on land, and heavier in the water.
Why do you think a steel 72 is too old to use? They have no set lifespan. I have many of them going clear back to the late 50s.

Nothing wrong with old steel 72s that pass hydro and VIP. Perpetuating diving myths don't help anyone.
I'm sure he believes it helps him... he owns a dive shop in a difficult market. His other favorite is that "your life support equipment should not be older than your car."

snip1.JPG

Dove my USD 72s this weekend; original hydro dates are 1965. I'm with Bob - plenty of dives out there for which a 72 is the right amount of gas. Especially so with a stout fill.

For the OP - I don't worry about flash rust all that much. Cleans out really easy with a tank whip; I like the one that uses green scrubby pads.

-B

I have a late 70s set of double 72s with a more modern manifold that gets dove on a fairly regular basis. Not as much as my double hundreds or my singles but sometimes i don't need that much gas and still want redundancy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom