Do not listen to AVIS!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Social media is a powerful instrument that allows you to take the temperature of what people are concerned with. You can do a simple test on any subject by typing it into Google. When I type in the phrase "Rising crime rates LOCATION" and I substitute LOCATION for Bonaire or any other Caribbean destination you get a litmus test of what people are talking about or not talking about. Bonaire by far has a totally different result when typed into Google. When you type into google that phrase with other countries you get studies or random websites that key words hit on. When you type in that phrase with Bonaire the results are very telling. You get all of the major social media discussion sites all come back as hits with people talking about the Bonaire problem of crime, which tells me the topic of Bonaire's crime is not isolated to scubaboard, it shows up right at the top as discussions on Tripadvisor, Lonely Planet, Bonaire Talk, Cruise News, Fodors...etc. Shows me that no matter how much a few people want to sugar coat it, people are talking about Bonaire crime all over social media far above and beyond any other Caribbean islands. That's pretty telling.

Social media is a powerful instrument that allows you to take the temperature of what people are concerned with. You can do a simple test on any subject by typing it into Google. When I type in the phrase "Rising crime rates LOCATION" and I substitute LOCATION for Bonaire or any other Caribbean destination you get a litmus test of what people are talking about or not talking about. Bonaire by far has a totally different result when typed into Google. When you type into google that phrase with other countries you get studies or random websites that key words hit on. When you type in that phrase with Bonaire the results are very telling. You get all of the major social media discussion sites all come back as hits with people talking about the Bonaire problem of crime, which tells me the topic of Bonaire's crime is not isolated to scubaboard, it shows up right at the top as discussions on Tripadvisor, Lonely Planet, Bonaire Talk, Cruise News, Fodors...etc. Shows me that no matter how much a few people want to sugar coat it, people are talking about Bonaire crime all over social media far above and beyond any other Caribbean islands. That's pretty telling.

I have been to Bonaire a dozen times. My truck was broken into on 26 occasions, My room was burglarized 5 times. I was held up at gunpoint 3 times. And my wife was murdered twice.

But I really like uncrowded dive sites.

I have been to Bonaire a dozen times. My truck was broken into on 26 occasions, My room was burglarized 5 times. I was held up at gunpoint 3 times. And my wife was murdered twice.

Seriously?

I know osf more shootings in my area than the petty thefts on Bonaire that so many here cry over. I wouldn't even want to begin to count lesser crimes here.

People want more cops, don't want higher taxes, and can't be bothered to tale simple anti theft measures.

No wonder so many people think Americans are spoiled brats. Most are.

You're welcome to your opinion. But there ARE other islands were almost EVERYONE bends over backwards to promote their island, and to make it a great stay for all tourists. Bonaire, St. Martin, and Barbados are putting absolutely no effort at all into keeping visitors safe, and are in fact, increasing the crime rate with their negligence.

It's clear to me that the police and politicians on those islands do not want me there, so I'm not going there (anymore).

"Leave my car unlocked so thieves can rummage through it without damaging it." Yeah, there's some f'n great detective work there. How about locking the thieves up instead. It's the single easiest problem for any officer to solve. You only have to catch a few every once in while to get the word out.

Do Bonaire's officers recommend that I leave my daughter chained to a tree in the woods at night so she doesn't get slapped around?

This is a completely unacceptable policy, I'll take my biz elsewhere.

And using an analogy that it ain't safe to walk the streets of Detroit, Philly, or Chicago at night....ain't going to fly either. I don't go to those dumpy cities either. A Pizza Hut in Miami needs 2 ARMED security guards because of the FSA lifestyle around there, is not good justification that it's OK to get mugged on Bonaire.

Last edited:

They really don't like her down there, do they?

I was planning on bringing the wife on MY next trip. Where did you stay?

Social media is a powerful instrument that allows you to take the temperature of what people are concerned with. You can do a simple test on any subject by typing it into Google. When I type in the phrase "Rising crime rates LOCATION" and I substitute LOCATION for Bonaire or any other Caribbean destination you get a litmus test of what people are talking about or not talking about. . . .

People like who? People from privileged societies like ours who post drivel on social media about how their dive vacation was spoiled by petty theft from a rental truck or a burglary of lodging with poor security? Where else have these people traveled? These are people who are apparently surprised that tourists in precious little Bonaire are increasingly feeling the effects of poverty and drugs in the local population, like a lot of other places in the world. As far as comparing Bonaire with other Caribbean destinations, as I have said before, I think it's difficult to make comparisons because there is nowhere else where tourists park rental trucks at remote dive sites, which seems to account for the bulk of the reports of "crime" against tourists, and for whatever reason a lot of Bonaire lodging appears to me to have more lax security than similar properties on other Caribbean islands.

People like who?

Well according to Fodor's media kit their users are 60% women, average age of 47, median income of $110,000, described as "audience of frequent leisure and business travelers". You're using scubaboard so I guess the scubaboard profile might be someone like yourself. As for the rest, well, you seem to want everybody to do your homework for you, if you're really interested in the facts you can search for their media kits yourself and get the facts instead of continuing with your endless speculations.

I was planning on bringing the wife on MY next trip. Where did you stay?

LOLz. You could just hang your weight belt on her tank and pop her BCD or wing. You'll be safer that way.

People like who? People from privileged societies like ours who post drivel on social media about how their dive vacation was spoiled by petty theft from a rental truck or a burglary of lodging with poor security? Where else have these people traveled? These are people who are apparently surprised that tourists in precious little Bonaire are increasingly feeling the effects of poverty and drugs in the local population, like a lot of other places in the world. As far as comparing Bonaire with other Caribbean destinations, as I have said before, I think it's difficult to make comparisons because there is nowhere else where tourists park rental trucks at remote dive sites, which seems to account for the bulk of the reports of "crime" against tourists, and for whatever reason a lot of Bonaire lodging appears to me to have more lax security than similar properties on other Caribbean islands.

So? It's not my fault they have drug problems, and the poverty problems that come after. How is someone breaking into my place "drivel"? Sounds like a pretty serious problem to me? I'd rather not have my things and passport stolen while on vacation. That's just me.

Thread is getting silly. This like saying that it was a great idea to plan a lion hunt expedition during the Rwandan genocide or something. "Oh don't worry, they're all out of bullets over there."

This is a completely unacceptable policy, I'll take my biz elsewhere.
Buliwyf,
please let us all know where you plan to go to avoid petty crime. I can't think of anywhere except maybe Little Cayman, but much more expensive and little shore diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom