Do not listen to AVIS!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just for the record, this was never intended to be a "Bonaire crime" thread, it was simply intended to help others from listening to stupid advice from AVIS and instead follow the well known "rule" of leaving your windows down and doors unlocked.

We felt 100% safe at all times during our 2 weeks on island. That's more than I can say for when we have been to Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, Jamaica, St Thomas....etc.

There are 2 kinds of people when it comes to Bonaire. Those of us who love this place and those who take every mention of Bonaire to bash it. For 10 years I've been making 2 trips a year for 4-5 weeks per year. I have never had any issue with my truck, because I don't leave anything in it. I've never had a problem with where I stay. It's not a resort, simply a 1 bedroom apartment. no fence, no private security. I've never felt unsafe for myself, my girlfriend or my mother. Actually I feel safer here than other places I've been.
im on Bonaire right now and have seen more people at dive sites leaving nice dive bags, cameras ect in there trucks while they dive. I wouldn't do it at home so I sure as hell wouldn't do it on vacation.

There are 2 kinds of people when it comes to Bonaire. Those of us who love this place and those who take every mention of Bonaire to bash it. For 10 years I've been making 2 trips a year for 4-5 weeks per year. I have never had any issue with my truck, because I don't leave anything in it. I've never had a problem with where I stay. It's not a resort, simply a 1 bedroom apartment. no fence, no private security. I've never felt unsafe for myself, my girlfriend or my mother. Actually I feel safer here than other places I've been.
im on Bonaire right now and have seen more people at dive sites leaving nice dive bags, cameras ect in there trucks while they dive. I wouldn't do it at home so I sure as hell wouldn't do it on vacation.
Did you score any good gear?

Some of my favorite posts on ScubaBoard are the ones around crime in Bonaire. As soon as I see one I go start some popcorn and grab a six pack....then just lurk in the weeds and laugh. We went, we loved it, we felt safe, nobody got robbed or shot, it offered us diving freedom never experienced elsewhere. Was it perfect? No, perfection is an unattainable goal and that is some of the fun of travel. Good and bad- so what do you want to focus on? Almost as good as posting a food thread on the Cozumel section.......ymmv but I am easily entertained.

. . . I've never had a problem with where I stay. It's not a resort, simply a 1 bedroom apartment. no fence, no private security. I've never felt unsafe for myself, my girlfriend or my mother. Actually I feel safer here than other places I've been. . . .

Out of curiosity, in what kind of area is your apartment located? Do you own it or rent it? Is it on an upper floor, such that it would take a Spiderman to get in from the outside? The truck crime is totally explainable and preventable, but there do seem to be a number of reports of break-ins at rental properties. My theory is that the places most likely to get hit are located in tourist ghettos, where thieves know they are likely to find things like laptops, phones, cameras, etc., and don't otherwise have security measures in place (fence, gate, security guard, etc.). For example, maybe these are happening in neighborhoods with a lot of VRBOs. Just theory/speculation on my part.

I rent a garden apartment, that has French doors that open onto a patio. Ground level. It's in belnam. 3 blocks from bachelors beach. And only cost 38 per night.

I rent a garden apartment, that has French doors that open onto a patio. Ground level. It's in belnam. 3 blocks from bachelors beach. And only cost 38 per night.

WOW!!! You are doing better than me. I rent one in the same area, but mine costs me $66/day (AC extra if I want it). Do you have a full kitchen? AC? Link for rental?

The place were getting is 92 a day, for 3 people, 3 bedrooms, with a/c.

The place were getting is 92 a day, for 3 people, 3 bedrooms, with a/c.

Not going back to Hamlet Villas this year?

Back
Top Bottom