sleep apnea and off gasing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ripcurl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Can any MD tell me if untreated mild sleep apnea can impair my ability to off gas nitrogen? Thanks

I can't do that, but I can tell you that untreated sleep apnea causing pulmonary hypertension will put a severe crimp in your diving.

It's hard to know. If you underwent a sleep study and it's significant enough to cause your O2 saturation to drop and your end tidal CO2 level to increase, you could conclude that nitrogen off-gassing could be inhibited. I don't think this has ever been studied, though. Why not get it treated so you won't have to worry?

Best regards,
DDM

I can't do that, but I can tell you that untreated sleep apnea causing pulmonary hypertension will put a severe crimp in your diving.

OMG, I don't think I'd get in the water with pulmonary hypertension!

It's hard to know. If you underwent a sleep study and it's significant enough to cause your O2 saturation to drop and your end tidal CO2 level to increase, you could conclude that nitrogen off-gassing could be inhibited. I don't think this has ever been studied, though. Why not get it treated so you won't have to worry?

Best regards,
DDM

Thanks for your feedback. Just diagnosed and starting on CPAP. I won't let OSA stop me from diving!

Luckily the issues caused by sleep apnea vanished (eventually) once I got on the CPAP. It sucks, but the alternative was far worse.

OMG, I don't think I'd get in the water with pulmonary hypertension!
. Yeah, that was pretty much what I was told. The incurable fatal progression part luckily didn't apply since it was caused by sleep apnea.

The resident who noticed the pitting edema on my shins quite possibly saved my life.

Last edited:
Met a guy online some 20 years ago had trouble with almost falling asleep on the safety hang bar! I told him he needed to get his sleep apnea diagnosed and treated.
My what?
So I provided a bit of info. Next time I heard from him he was very appreciative of the improvement in his life.

OSA can cause a whole host of medical problems. IMO the likelihood that N2 off gassing being compromised is pretty remote, and it sure as hell is a trivial problem compared to the rest.

IMHO, you have obstructive sleep apnea and not obstructive awake apnea. Get the proper treatment and you should have no problems. As fmerkel stated above it can and will lead to several other complications but if controlled, you can still have a very great diving life.

Back
Top Bottom