Am I the dumb one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sea_Jay

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have seen several people do this; and FWIW I believe I've lost a few brain cells watching them:

At the analyzing station, with the whip & the O2 analyzer connected, and the tank valve open -- they're rocking the tank back & forth as if it's some type of cocktail. I have went out of my way to ask them "what are you doing?" and I always get the same response...."blending the gas so I get an accurate reading"

My basic knowledge of of physics tells me that a compressed gas cylinder, which is *UNDER PRESSURE* should not be affected by rocking the cylinder back-and-forth. It has bothered me enough to research the weight of oxygen vs. the weight of nitrogen. Even still, the difference appears to be negligible.....and this is assuming the gas is NOT under pressure.

Idk....I call bullsh*t

Hahahaha!! I've blended hundreds of thousands of cubic feet of gas.

You are absolutely correct.

Having done some maths and mixed some mix, I’d encourage both @Sea_Jay and @Wookie to read the above. I don’t concern myself with nitrox, but I’d encourage a solid bashing of a wrench on a high helium concentration cylinder and ideally a second analysis the day of use.

Having done some maths and mixed some mix, I’d encourage both @Sea_Jay and @Wookie to read the above. I don’t concern myself with nitrox, but I’d encourage a solid bashing of a wrench on a high helium concentration cylinder and ideally a second analysis the day of use.
I calculated roughly how much gas I have mixed. It came out to 50 million cubic feet.

I must say I never "mixed" it, I let Dalton do it for me.

It never failed.

It most definitely makes a difference a certain scenarios.
Partial pressure mixing trimix for example will change the readings on the analyzer right in front of your eyes, drastically, by drastically I mean 10% + variance in less than a minute.

Can't say that every fill will have that effect, simply because I haven't used every possible technique, but the way I fill, slowly, veeery slowly filling O2 - He - Air. Put it on the analyzer right after filling and see the results, then just simply flip the bottle upside-down and watch what happens on the analyzer.
Could be wrong but it seems more drastic the smaller the cylinder, which for "scientific" purposes are easier to replicate, rebreather bottles are great for this, can flip them around back and forth while still connected to analyzer and see the change on the readings right before your eyes.

Can't remember if I've noticed or payed attention to this on partial pressure of nitrox fills.

I fill, slowly, veeery slowly filling O2 - He - Air.
Ah. In this lies the issue.

I always add He first, and then the O2, and then blast in the air on top to get everything circulating nicely.

I've missed the mix, not enough for a rebreather to care, but never waited for a mix to settle out. I would mix 8 444 cu ft at a time.

I always add He first, and then the O2, and then blast in the air on top to get everything circulating nicely.

I've missed the mix, not enough for a rebreather to care, but never waited for a mix to settle out. I would mix 8 444 cu ft at a time.
I may have tried flipping the order of the gases, can't remember.
But my logical mind definitely prompted me to "blast" the air in last to mix everything, it did not do the trick however.

I too would fill slowly, then at the end blast some air. There’s no way at the gases aren’t mixed after that.

I assumed the people having issues were filling slow and their measurements were distorted by the last gas in the manifold.

I have seen several people do this; and FWIW I believe I've lost a few brain cells watching them:

At the analyzing station, with the whip & the O2 analyzer connected, and the tank valve open -- they're rocking the tank back & forth as if it's some type of cocktail. I have went out of my way to ask them "what are you doing?" and I always get the same response...."blending the gas so I get an accurate reading"

My basic knowledge of of physics tells me that a compressed gas cylinder, which is *UNDER PRESSURE* should not be affected by rocking the cylinder back-and-forth. It has bothered me enough to research the weight of oxygen vs. the weight of nitrogen. Even still, the difference appears to be negligible.....and this is assuming the gas is NOT under pressure.

Idk....I call bullsh*t
😂

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom