Yoke vs Yoke Adapter Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The yoke adapters add more than 1/2", closer to a full 1". If you use a BP/W, and keep the tank valve high enough to be able to reach it, this extra inch closer to your head is a real PITA. I would never suggest to anyone to buy a DIN reg with the intention of using it on yoke tanks with an adapter. It just does not make any sense. The adapters do work in a pinch (pun intended!) but planning to use one on a regular basis is not a good idea IMO.

It is true that the convertible valves seem to be more common at dive resorts, but I wouldn't count on it and sometimes those plugs do get basically welded in place. I'm sure that many of them have already been stripped from futile attempts at removing them on a pitching boat with a rusty old allen wrench after they've been in place for months with daily salt water dives. The convertible valves are great at home, where you can control how the tanks are stored and treated. In a harsh rental environment where the tanks are banged around trucks, never rinsed, etc... yokes have proven to be very durable. There's no exposed threads to get fouled up.

So, OP, buy a yoke regulator if you intend to use yoke tanks. You can easily buy a DIN conversion kit (not an adapter) and simply convert your reg to DIN when you need it. Or vice-versa, get a DIN reg and a yoke conversion kit.

The din reg and and using the yolk adapter is the cheapest way to go. One thing I will say about getting a yolk is that the yolk adapter was not intended to be used as the normal way of rigging. it was for the exception. So no matter what way you go look at teh tanks you will be using. Also getting a din adn the yolk adapter requires no tools to dothe conversion. Not so for gettnig the yolk adn changing to a din.

The yoke adapters add more than 1/2", closer to a full 1". If you use a BP/W, and keep the tank valve high enough to be able to reach it, this extra inch closer to your head is a real PITA. I would never suggest to anyone to buy a DIN reg with the intention of using it on yoke tanks with an adapter. It just does not make any sense. The adapters do work in a pinch (pun intended!) but planning to use one on a regular basis is not a good idea IMO.

It is true that the convertible valves seem to be more common at dive resorts, but I wouldn't count on it and sometimes those plugs do get basically welded in place. I'm sure that many of them have already been stripped from futile attempts at removing them on a pitching boat with a rusty old allen wrench after they've been in place for months with daily salt water dives. The convertible valves are great at home, where you can control how the tanks are stored and treated. In a harsh rental environment where the tanks are banged around trucks, never rinsed, etc... yokes have proven to be very durable. There's no exposed threads to get fouled up.

So, OP, buy a yoke regulator if you intend to use yoke tanks. You can easily buy a DIN conversion kit (not an adapter) and simply convert your reg to DIN when you need it. Or vice-versa, get a DIN reg and a yoke conversion kit.

I've been thinking of converting my yoke-mount MR-12 first stages to DIN mount, thinking it "might be better" (because I dive side-mount), but I do all my diving on vacation and that means I run with what the dive-operator has on hand. I haven't had any trouble with yoke regs in side-mount, and what you're saying is a good reason to leave it alone. Thanks.

The yoke adapters add more than 1/2", closer to a full 1".

Yes, I have picture to show if you search forum here. that 1" may not affect everyone, but for me it was a big deal.

I also prefer yoke for single tank diving. It really doesn't give up any thing for this type of diving. DIN for tech/double. By the time you start tech training, you must already spend a fortune in dive equipment, buying another 1st stage is really minimal cost at that point. So I personally don't compromise my single tank diving comfort for a possible and maybe distant tech future.

oh, something of note that I just realized last weekend diving single tank yoke for the first time in years... Using the DSS backplates, which are flatter than any of the others, and not using an STA, the first stage is going to to be VERY close to the back of your head and in this configuration using a yoke adapter would be very uncomfortable. I switched the first stage over to yoke expecting this problem, but didn't realize it would be this bad. It can be done in a pinch with a yoke adapter, but you have to have a patient buddy willing to adjust the tank height while underwater to get it to where it will be OK.

oh, something of note that I just realized last weekend diving single tank yoke for the first time in years... Using the DSS backplates, which are flatter than any of the others, and not using an STA, the first stage is going to to be VERY close to the back of your head and in this configuration using a yoke adapter would be very uncomfortable. I switched the first stage over to yoke expecting this problem, but didn't realize it would be this bad. It can be done in a pinch with a yoke adapter, but you have to have a patient buddy willing to adjust the tank height while underwater to get it to where it will be OK.

Interesting observation. I wonder how many of us who find the adapter puts the first stage too close to the back of our heads for comfort have DSS plates? It hadn't occurred to me that the flatter or relatively shallow bend in the plate--which in other respects is a nice feature--may be the culprit.

As an aside, I'm in the process of learning doubles, and the first thing I discovered was that the relatively shallow bend of my DSS plate required me to use a bolt extender to attach the doubles. As much as I like my DSS gear, I think I may get a different plate for my new doubles.

you shouldn't have any problems with your doubles bolts. If they come as far out as they are supposed to it shouldn't be a problem. I have used mine on many sets of borrowed doubles with standard bolts and haven't had a problem using them, both the SS and Kydex plates I have

Okay, I take that back. I need to look into it more. Anyway, back on topic ....

Din is always the best option together with yoke adapter. I only use yoke when din tanks unavailable. No risk of o ring break on yoke tanks.

There's always another option. Buy a yoke reg and a din conversion kit or vice versa. If you've got the kit, it's very simple to convert the reg. It's slightly more expensive, but you get the best of both worlds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom