Yoke vs Yoke Adapter Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, everyone! After all the advice, I think I'm better off going with the DIN and either the yoke adapter or keeping my old 1st as a "vacation" setup.

people tend to dislike using yoke adapters with their DIN 1sts...is it really that bad? Is it worth putting up with the yoke adapter some of time (say half) to be able to use it without a yoke adapter the other half? Or would I be better off just getting a straight yoke 1st?

I've used all the various combinations (din reg & valve, yoke reg & valve, din reg with yoke adapter, yoke reg with provalve with adapter slug).

So, the yoke adapter is one more thing to lose or forget, it's one more pound of gear to drag along, one more o-ring to blow, and one more thing to set up on the tank when setting up your kit. But none of that makes it a big deal, it's just a minor nuisance.

For some people, the extra length of the yoke adapter can cause them to hit their head on the regulator. Most people don't have a problem. It's a combination of how high your tank sits on your body, the diameter of the cylinders you're using, and how straight your back and neck are. The adapter works OK for me but not for everyone.

. . .
For some people, the extra length of the yoke adapter can cause them to hit their head on the regulator. Most people don't have a problem. It's a combination of how high your tank sits on your body, the diameter of the cylinders you're using, and how straight your back and neck are. The adapter works OK for me but not for everyone.

On what do you base it being no problem for "most" people? I don't think we know how many are in each camp. Anyway, it's such an individual issue, based on all the factors you mentioned, that a diver needs to try it for himself with his tank placed where he wants it, etc.

I found the yoke adapter for an Atomic regulator very uncomfortable. I like to change positions as I dive and the 1st stage was always hitting me in the back of the head, It is usable, but far from ideal. I ended up converting the reg to yoke and I can switch back to DIN if needed.

On what do you base it being no problem for "most" people? I don't think we know how many are in each camp.

Because the people who regularly upbraid me for suggesting that the adapters are a bad idea outnumber the people who complain about them.

Anyway, it's such an individual issue, based on all the factors you mentioned, that a diver needs to try it for himself with his tank placed where he wants it, etc.

Yep.

I keep bringing my yoke adapter every where I travel. I haven't used it in over five years. I'm about to stop bringing it, but I really, really hate yokes. The knob seems to find mono even in lightly fished areas. I'm sticking with yoke.

I found the yoke adapter for an Atomic regulator very uncomfortable. I like to change positions as I dive and the 1st stage was always hitting me in the back of the head, It is usable, but far from ideal.

I agree. I couldn't make mine work nicely with a ponytail on the back of my head. Had to sacrifice either trim or hair... so I cut my hair. :D

The yoke adapter adds about a half inch to the reg to tank distance. I have never noticed a problem with my hog D1 regs.

Conversely, it reduces the regulator to head distance by about a 1/2", which I have noticed on occasion. :-(

Most tanks (but not all) have a convertible valve so you may be diving a DIN tank-in-hiding anyway, but I agree with most of the sentiments above... if you are mostly diving yolk tanks, then stick with it. You can change your 1st stage to a DIN anytime for minimal cost if you're so inclined...

Most tanks (but not all) have a convertible valve so you may be diving a DIN tank-in-hiding anyway,...

In previous threads on this topic someone mentioned that the converter plugs can be a pain on rental tanks because the threads are susceptible to corrosion if the plug is not removed and the tank and plug threads cleaned after saltwater use. Also, plugs can get misplaced--that is, separated from tanks. So some dive operators may shun them. Or you may find a difficult to remove plug and/or corroded DIN threads behind the plug. And of course this means someone--you or the dive op--must have a hex key (aka Allen wrench) handy. I know these convertible valves are becoming more common, but as a traveling diver I would hesitate to count on these being available and usable at all destinations. The diver who rents tanks in vacation destinations can always count on yoke.

In previous threads on this topic someone mentioned that the converter plugs can be a pain on rental tanks because the threads are susceptible to corrosion if the plug is not removed and the tank and plug threads cleaned after saltwater use. Also, plugs can get misplaced--that is, separated from tanks. So some dive operators may shun them. Or you may find a difficult to remove plug and/or corroded DIN threads behind the plug. And of course this means someone--you or the dive op--must have a hex key (aka Allen wrench) handy. I know these convertible valves are becoming more common, but as a traveling diver I would hesitate to count on these being available and usable at all destinations. The diver who rents tanks in vacation destinations can always count on yoke.

All valid points, and party why I suggested holding off on DIN until you're sure you're going to make use of it. I use DIN exclusively at home and "most" (i.e. >50%) of the places I travel have convertible tanks, but I always carry an adapter anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom