Uw Go Pro 4 And Color Balance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did a video on my recent trip to the red sea. I was using the sandmarc filters plus a video light whereas the video light only affected some of the scenes. Protune was off, no post processing at all, just cutted with iMovie and Splice for the sound. Video was shot with a hero4 silver 1080p 60 FPS. I always used the filter for the according depth plus the video light (FWT Schultz GS35 Mini-Li Flood Cool/Warm combined). It was my very first video ever and I'm pleased with the result :)

Underwater color is a bit of an art, so opinions are bound to be different.
Pros aim to get as close to the look they want as possible so grading in post is easier.
There are some personal things shooters do to hedge their bets, like under exposing a bit so you have options (you can do this using the EV setting on the GoPro).
People have noted that the deep filter from Backscatter is too orange, but they have a new model out which is better.
In general, when I am shooting with a GoPro, I shoot with the 20 - 50 ft red filter in blue water and get good results.
Here's a promotional I shot in Cozumel.

I got some experience on Gopro filter issue. at least u r not the only one who confuse on the white balance. i bought 3 different filters in last 2 years.

I'm a Gopro hero 4 silver user, mainly took video by camera raw setting of my last 2 dive trips.
1st trip(Mar 2015 Thai Similan): i bought a filter online, unknown brand, which is too reddish. absolutely not suitable for any depth of the dive, and i lost it UW after 1 day dives. at that moment, i even don't know how to set gopro to camera raw. almost all video can not recover on post production.

2nd trip(Dec 2015 Sabah Malaysia): i bought a polar pro red filter. set to camera raw this time. according to the dive sites are all within 20M, and plenty of sun light. the result is much better than my 1st trip. but, when i do the post production by Sony Vegas pro, i found this filter making too much reddish tone, blue become violet, and shadow area become reddish. when i check the RGB parade in software, red amount is really more than the others. but easy to fix it in post production.

3rd trip(March 2016 Thai Similan): still using Polar Pro red filter, same camera raw setting. the average depth is deeper than last time. min 20M sometimes up to 30M or more. when i do the post production by the same software, it is more difficult to make the color balance to get the natural color than last time. some footage can not be recovered to the right color.
i have mounted gopro on top on my camera housing this time, i use custom white balance of my camera. so i have a video which can compare the result. both are 1080 60fps
i used a lot of plugin to recover the color on gopro footage; just use "brightening plugin" on camera footage.

finally, i bought a SRP CY filter for my gopro, i just used for few times in local area, the result is the best which i ever use. BUT, when i take deeper than 20M, i can just rely on camera raw setting on post product, but easy to do it because the color balance is much better.

honestly speaking, gopro is a great camera. but it is not design for diving, we need to buy a lot of accessories to be a good equipment for diving, especially the white balance issue is a big problem because we will dive on different depth. filter never fit for all depth, custom whitebalance is the best option for diving because we can change anytime according to depth.
that's y you get better color than your friend in your first thread. i think your friend is using polar pro or gopro original filter. i see the result is very similar to mine(polar pro filter).

remember to set to camera raw when u dive, when u transform to Cineform format, much easy for you to tuning every levels of your footage.

I just finished putting this video together from a trip to Clear Lake Oregon with up to 100 ft of visibility. Max depth was about 50 ft. 41 degree water temp. GoPro4 Black without filters, Protune on with native WB and color correction in post. I'm not missing the filters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom