Hero 12 vs Action 4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nico-ITA

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am coming from a Hero 5 and would like to upgrade.
GoPro has better overall quality in my opinion.
The Dji Action 4 with its larger sensor and color sensor might do better underwater (on paper), but I am not sure.
We would need a good 1:1 underwater comparison with natural light and 30/40 meters depth.
What do you guys think?

It's time to upgrade my GoPro Hero 6; and I'm debating the same question. Tons of comparisons of them on YouTube, but all above water while cycling, running, etc. Would love to see a comparison of them at depth each in a housing.

...with natural light and 30/40 meters depth.

Good luck with that! That's a big ask for any camera, never mind an action cam. If you can find something that can do this, please tell us and I will buy it :)

I've owned a GoPro Hero 3, 5, 7 and 11. For me, electronic stabilisation has been a key improvement in these cameras. It was good in the Hero 5, but has got better with subsequent cameras. Hero 7 was a really good camera. I've only just upgraded to a Hero 11. I like some of the extra features on the latter, but in terms of video quality underwater, I would say not much difference. Additionally, battery life and reliability has improved over time, but the Hero 10 does seem to have more of an overheating issue than the others from what I've heard.

Have you thought about a Insta360 X3?

It has Immersive 5.7K 360 video and wide-angle 4K Single-Lens Mode.

Dive housing good for 50m and what seems to be half decent colour correction software. Not to mention the ability to reframe footage post dive.

Thoughts?

Have you thought about a Insta360 X3?

It has Immersive 5.7K 360 video and wide-angle 4K Single-Lens Mode.

Dive housing good for 50m and what seems to be half decent colour correction software. Not to mention the ability to reframe footage post dive.

Thoughts?

For me it’s a no, unless there is a case that reaches 100 meters, like this one:

Look at this… it does not bode well…

This looks more like user error - too low a frame rate hence when he moves the camera quickly the terrain gets blurry. 60fps should fix it.

The other thing is that even my GoPro looks distorted in wide angle videos UW. I now shoot linear mode always whether GoPro or Osmo Action3…

Nice! I think I just found my next hole-in-the-pocket burner! One could use that adapter to mount an INON dome lens as well… Wish they had physical store dealers in APAC so I could sneak it back into my country without paying 40% customs duty on top of the shipping!

This looks more like user error - too low a frame rate hence when he moves the camera quickly the terrain gets blurry. 60fps should fix it.

The other thing is that even my GoPro looks distorted in wide angle videos UW. I now shoot linear mode always whether GoPro or Osmo Action3…
There was a follow-up and it seems to be due to the sharpness being too high. We will see the next updates

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom