DJI Action 4?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmrangel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All
I got a chance to test an Action 4 on land. I was impressed with the camera, seems to have about 1 stop better noise with the larger sensor. But, not sure how the colors are for underwater. Just wondering if anyone has had a chance to use one for scuba, preferably with ambient light?
Thanks in advance!

I am also interested in any feedback from anyone that has used the Action 4 for scuba (ambient or not).

I just go an Action 4 and plan to use it underwater but next dive trip won't be for a few months. My plan is to use it in a dive case mounted on my Sony a6000/Seafrogs housing. An inexpensive light like the Suptig LED light may also be a worthwhile addition.

I am just learning the Action 4 and have yet to find resources on recommended settings for diving. I plan to use DaVinci Resolve for post processing.

So far, I like the colors above water shooting in either D-LogM or Normal. I've used both AWB and Manual WB using PRO mode, Auto Exposure with Shutter constrained to 1/200-1/8000 and ISO 100-1600. That will be my starting point for diving along with 4K30, 16:9, Rock Steady and Standard (dewarped) FOV. I don't see an option for u/w AWB but have read it kicks in automatically at depth, however, unsure if that applies to the camera in a housing.

I recently bought the Action 4 and have taken it diving, the AWB is based on a front sensor that works through the dive case, I have found where I had it mounted to my A6500 dive housing with lights the color balance will visibly "switch" temperatures.
I did give it a quick test in handheld only use and it did a fairly good job of AWB underwater.

I mostly bought it for doing product shots of my main camera as can be seen here:

I recently bought the Action 4 and have taken it diving, the AWB is based on a front sensor that works through the dive case, I have found where I had it mounted to my A6500 dive housing with lights the color balance will visibly "switch" temperatures.
I did give it a quick test in handheld only use and it did a fairly good job of AWB underwater.

I mostly bought it for doing product shots of my main camera as can be seen here:

I used the Osmo Action 3 for the first time UW this March and here are the results linked. The Action 4 should be similar or better. ( all ambient lighting heavily processed in Resolve Studio. I am beginner level so YMMV).

A great bonus reason for getting the DJI Osmo Action cam is the adventure combo pack with 2 extra batteries and charging case and extra mounts - all for some $100 less than the latest and greatest GoPro. Great for the assurance that you will never run out of batteries when out on a dive boat all day doing 3+ dives…

I like this underwater tripod for my Osmo/GoPro. Where can I get it in Bali? How much does it cost?

Edit: I see other gorillapod style options as well not sure which one to get for just an actioncam…

I used the Osmo Action 3 for the first time UW this March and here are the results linked. The Action 4 should be similar or better. ( all ambient lighting heavily processed in Resolve Studio. I am beginner level so YMMV).

Well done! I have the DJI Osmo Action 4 but haven't used it underwater - it is my first "action cam". I also use Resolve (free version) for color grading videos from my Sony a6000 and plan to use it for DJI DLog-M videos from the Action 4. I am not sure if I will use AWB or shoot at a fixed temp (5300 K). I think fixed temp will make grading a bit easier but if the DJI AWB has an effective UW mode that will be worth exploring. There is no such setting for UW on the Action 4 but I understand it will 'kick in' at a specific depth.

Thanks for posting your videos!

Is there third party support for the Action 4 for accessories and lenses like the GoPro?
GoPro has more available dive related accessories from what I have seen. They have a larger user base and bigger market. If an action cam was my primary camera or if I had already bought into the GoPro ecosystem, that would be a big decision factor;

Back
Top Bottom