DIR/GUE gear updates?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beau640

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello everyone

When I first got into diving I did it with the dream of some day advancing into technical diving and wreck penetration. I'm attempting to work my way there slowly and have been lurking the scubaboard forums for a while now. I've been reading a lot of past posts on here about gear configuration, DIR, and GUE fundamentals.

However a lot of the posts that are here when searching about DIR gear configurations are years old. I'm just wondering if the GUE recommendations are still current.

Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers

I didn't want to begin slowly replacing pieces of gear/moving towards making my kit DIR if things stated on that website are now out of date. One of the next changes I'm moving towards is the long hose across the chest and around the neck with a bungie necklace for the octo (assuming that is still recommended). Just making sure everything I'm studying/reading up on is current. Any changes recently in the realm of DIR in terms of gear configurations as newer technology comes out?

Thanks so much

That is current, that is one of the positives of the GUE system. There are a few technology updates, like LED instead of HID. And most GUE here in SoCal are using Petrel/Perdix's.....

You'll see more cordless canister lights now as well.

RB80 forever?
At least until sensors get better and the ccr configuration is a bit more refined. I can't get down with the way it's being configured right now.

In any case for the stuff I do there's not a compelling reason to change to ccr.

Thanks for all the replies so far!

Two more questions:

1. The GUE page recommends against dive computers and just recommends simplified timer/depth gauge. Is this still the case or have computers gotten to a point where they are now used for tech diving?

2. If using a cordless light (to prevent debate of cordless vs canister we will just assume there is a magical cordless light that satisfies everything you need for a dive), do you just use a goodman handle at all times to prevent from dropping it or is there a way to secure it while in use to prevent accidental drops since it doesn't have a cord?

Thanks again

At least until sensors get better and the ccr configuration is a bit more refined. I can't get down with the way it's being configured right now.

In any case for the stuff I do there's not a compelling reason to change to ccr.

GUE does use a rather strange implementation of the JJ for their CCR. It is anything but stock.... I think the Poseidon sensors coming out next year will go a long way to help the hesitation with CCR though.

1. I'll let AJ handle that one.... I believe it is still the case, and at the time it was completely valid, but I think we've moved beyond that. Either way, if you purchase a legitimate technical computer, it will have gauge mode on it.

2. Goodman with a clip on it so you can stow it when you are using your left hand to do stuff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom