DIR/GUE gear updates?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the replies so far!

Two more questions:

1. The GUE page recommends against dive computers and just recommends simplified timer/depth gauge. Is this still the case or have computers gotten to a point where they are now used for tech diving?

2. If using a cordless light (to prevent debate of cordless vs canister we will just assume there is a magical cordless light that satisfies everything you need for a dive), do you just use a goodman handle at all times to prevent from dropping it or is there a way to secure it while in use to prevent accidental drops since it doesn't have a cord?

The bottom line is always: Ask your instructor. If you're planning to take Fundies any time in the near future, get in touch with an instructor and ask the instructor what gear you will need for the course. For example, you might be told you don't need a computer for the course--just a "bottom timer and depth gauge"--but that doesn't mean GUE divers do not use computers. I would venture to guess that just about everyone in Fundies class has a computer on their wrist--set to gauge mode, if the computer has such a mode, so that it's reduced to serving as a bottom timer and depth gauge. I used a Suunto Zoop in Fundies, which doesn't even have a gauge mode, but it was sufficient for the class because it provided time and depth. Post-Fundies, use a computer as you wish--you will have been trained to know its limitations and perhaps use it more judiciously. Likewise, my Fundies instructor indicated that divers are moving toward cordless lights as the technology continues to improve, but for purposes of the Fundies course he wanted me to learn to manage an old-fashioned light cord. His thinking was that there may a situation in which a diver needs to borrow gear, and the latest and greatest gear may not be available to borrow. By the way, if your instructor takes this approach, you may be able to get a good deal on a used, corded HID light, or else you could borrow/rent one. If there's an item of gear you need for your class that you don't want to own, borrowing/renting may be a good option.

A little out of the context, but is GUE a little against side-mount diving ?, I don't see side-mount pictures in their website.

A little out of the context, but is GUE a little against side-mount diving ?, I don't see side-mount pictures in their website.
I don't know the official stance, but it's probably more of a "doesn't fit our desired goals so we don't use it" instead of them being "against" it.

My understanding is it is a mission specific tool. Revert to backmount unless to mission requires other tools i.e. sidemount or ccr. They have also not standardized an equipment configuration for it yet, until then, it's mission specific.

@PfcAJ I'm sure can lend a bit more insight to that, but that's my understanding of both sidemount and CCR's right now

Thanks for all the replies so far!

Two more questions:

1. The GUE page recommends against dive computers and just recommends simplified timer/depth gauge. Is this still the case or have computers gotten to a point where they are now used for tech diving?

2. If using a cordless light (to prevent debate of cordless vs canister we will just assume there is a magical cordless light that satisfies everything you need for a dive), do you just use a goodman handle at all times to prevent from dropping it or is there a way to secure it while in use to prevent accidental drops since it doesn't have a cord?

Thanks again

1) GUE has its own system for calculating deco obligations, sometimes on the fly, so that a computer is not needed. GUE also has a dive planning software you can purchase. Some GUE divers dive with Shearwaters and use the computer as a sanity check but not the primary source of tracking deco obligations.

2) The light will need a hard goodman handle with a bolt snap attached to the "right" post and maybe a loop that can be used to clip it off with a double ender (not sure how the loop works with a regular light). The bolt snap is for stowing it when not in use. The loop is for temporary stowing while diving and allows the light to point down and not blind anyone. You can see the bolt snap location in this picture from the GUE website-
http://www.gue.com/files/page_images/equipment/Config/sonya_bimini-swimthrough.jpg

Typically the light head has 2 stowage options, a "working" stowage loop tied behind the light head allowing the light to point down when clipped to a shoulder D-ring, and a "storage" stowage loop on the top, starboard side of the hard goodman handle that allows the light to be stowed pointed up, protecting the lamp when turned off and stowed.

Working:

IMG_1922.JPG

Stowed:

salvo_dir_light.jpg

I don't know if putting the "working" loop behind the light head will work properly on a flashlight style light. Seems the batteries would be the heaviest part and cause the light to point upwards instead.

Its basically a mission specific tool. There is no course at the moment because that would suggest that dive specific configurations could be taught.

Personally I agree with this. There is no reason to dive sidemount in open water. "my back is bad" is bogus (I've had 3 back surgeries, I know wtf I'm talking about here...) Plus, every cave diver should have a basic understanding of doubles with an isolation manifold and be able to dive them. Thus, take cave1 and 2, do a bunch of mainline dives in the tourist caves then start thinking about sidemount for whatever you actually need it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom