Favorite Back Inflate BC under $700?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what do you think trying one will do for you? Will you get to try a back inflate or do you assume it will be the same as the jacket because it straps onto you in a similar fashion?
I would like to try a back inflate before buying one but - same as the wing - this likely won't be possible. Sounds stupid and not reasonable, I know, but a back inflate seems still more similar to a jacket BC, so the step is slightly less far for me.

Are you unable to follow simple instructions with pictures to assemble the plate and make sure it fits properly?
I guess I am able to follow average IKEA assembly instructions.

What advice do you expect to need from someone? *for reference I can point you to a myriad of divers in the general London area who dive bp/w's*
While a bp/w does typically come in a box with all the parts and requires full assembly, it takes maybe half an hour the first time you do it, and is anything but complicated.
again, just trying to understand why you seem spooked by them
I guess it's the whole process of deciding / ordering / assembling. I can buy a back inflate that comes pretty much in the shape I will use it, incl. weight pockets etc. If I buy a BP/W you need to decide on a plate, a wing, then figure out what extras do you need (weight pockets? fixtures? - which ones do you buy / how are they attached to the BP/W etc.) - it just requires an awful lot more information / research.

My lds is pretty much in line with online sources. What I paid for my current bc and what I would replace it with if I had to would be the same or a bit less than bp/w.

Big advantage for me is the service I get, If I am flying out next week for a dive trip and have an equipment issue It will be resolved in an afternoon for a resonable price if not for free.

If that was the case around me in new england, I wouldn't mind shopping the LDS. Up here there seems to be a typical 30-50% increase over the prices found online. I am also still looking for one that doesn't make me feel totally ripped off when it comes to servicing equipment.

I would like to try a back inflate before buying one but - same as the wing - this likely won't be possible. Sounds stupid and not reasonable, I know, but a back inflate seems still more similar to a jacket BC, so the step is slightly less far for me.

I guess I am able to follow average IKEA assembly instructions.

I guess it's the whole process of deciding / ordering / assembling. I can buy a back inflate that comes pretty much in the shape I will use it, incl. weight pockets etc. If I buy a BP/W you need to decide on a plate, a wing, then figure out what extras do you need (weight pockets? fixtures? - which ones do you buy / how are they attached to the BP/W etc.) - it just requires an awful lot more information / research.

a back inflate is more similar, strap in and go, and if you are a fan of that simplicity, then I would recommend a Dive Rite Hunterpac, but if you are willing and able to follow basic IKEA type instructions, a BP/W isn't that scary.
Simple instructions, even from a Dive Shop in Kent, so depending on where you are in/around London it's less than 2 hours drive. Well worth it imho if you want to check them out in person

So deciding/ordering. Yes you do have to determine which plate and wing you want, but since all of the mfg's sell packages, just pick the package that works. Basic suggestion is a SS plate, and a 30lb wing. Can't really go wrong with that. Not really any different than purchasing a back inflate. Assembling is covered above. WRT extras, don't really need anything else. If you want to use weight pockets you can thread them on in about 2 minutes *have to undo the waist buckle which is slightly annoying and takes about 90 seconds of the 2 minutes*, or you can dive a standard weight belt. Depending on where you are diving, with the SS plate you may not need anything else.
Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers
I'm not a GUE guy, but this is a good read for any diver about what you actually need vs what you think you need. Obviously you can ignore the lights, reels, etc, and can combine bottom time/watch/compass into a computer, but the general principals are there.
good video showing some of that gear

Putting together a BP/W isn't rocket surgery. I bought mine and assembled it right out of OW. Later adjustments in other classes were pretty much limited to re-positioning D-rings.

Hey gang,
So I'm looking to purchase a new BC for tropical waters, everyday use for my job maintaining a coral nursery.
I want to try out one with a back inflate, looking for something under $750-700, thinking about Scubapro's Glide X or their Seahawk, but not one of those people that will only consider Scubapro products. Would love to hear your guys' advice!

I've previously had two different jack BCDs:
Cressi Start Pro BC (Hated it, tank always slid off and I could never lift my head up, always hurt my back to maintain good buoyancy).
XS Scuba Nekton BC (Pretty comfortable, not that durable)

Are you me? My first BC on Guam was. Glide Plus. When I decided to upgrade, I switched to a DSS Kydex backplate with 20 lb wing, which is more than enough for Guam diving and makes for a very light travel BC for tropical diving. You definitely do not need a SS plate. I put my rig together using online instructions and didn't have any real issues besides the time it took.

Thanks, tbone - you make me seriously think about a BP/W.
I will give the existing BP/W threads in the forum a careful read over the next few days.

I will give the existing BP/W threads in the forum a careful read over the next few days.

just know that I'm not trying to push you in any direction, nor do I try to push anyone in that direction even though it is the only way I will willingly dive backmount. The problem is there is a stigma outside of this forum that bp/w's are for "technical diving", whatever that means, and are "advanced", whatever. Bollocks, it was the first bcd that I ever put on, and the bcd that all of the students I work with are put in from day 1. Sure they take a little bit more initial setup, but once you do that setup, it's set it and forget it. The questions being asked are to understand why you don't think it is the right choice, and that is your choice to make, not mine or anyone elses, but you should be able to justify your decision.

Some shops might web it for you. DRIS will do the webbing for an extra $10, even for online orders.

just know that I'm not trying to push you in any direction, nor do I try to push anyone in that direction even though it is the only way I will willingly dive backmount. The problem is there is a stigma outside of this forum that bp/w's are for "technical diving", whatever that means, and are "advanced", whatever. Bollocks, it was the first bcd that I ever put on, and the bcd that all of the students I work with are put in from day 1. Sure they take a little bit more initial setup, but once you do that setup, it's set it and forget it. The questions being asked are to understand why you don't think it is the right choice, and that is your choice to make, not mine or anyone elses, but you should be able to justify your decision.
I do have my concerns (which might not be justified) that it is more complicated, less comfortable etc. compared to a back inflate BCD but I see your points. Given the vast amount of information on this topic in this forum, I will do my research and then come back if I have any more questions.

I have a couple of dive buddies that live in London and I know one, and I think both, dive with a local BSAC club there. I'm pretty sure you could find the club and meet some people there who would be happy to help you and probably even let you try out a BP/W.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom