Favorite Back Inflate BC under $700?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm also a fan of the Zeagle Stiletto. I believe it's heavy enough to be durable but light enough to travel well. I'm a fairly new diver and had only used a few brands of jacket styles and didn't like any of them. I rarely even notice the Stiletto when I'm in the water.

Deep Sea Supply - that is one very well thought out and made in USA (Pasadena CA) piece of equipment that depending on what you buy should be well under $700. Single tank would be in the area of $470 or so. DeepSeaSupply

I have the Oceanic excursion qlr4 dive master bcd and love. It's a tough, well made, nicely adjustable bcd.

HOLLIS HD 200.... its comfy and tec all rolled together....

Not being a jerk,but, besides a quick release buckles and such, what exactly is a point of back inflate vs BPW?
I understand people like jacket BCD, for encased feeling.
As far as I can tell, all back inflates are copies of BPW. If you go with pockets, you can put those on a harness. You like many d-rings? You can put as many as you want and where you want them in single piece harness.
Travel friendly? Alu back plate, or better yet, kydex plate and wing is not that heavy anyway. So, what is a point?
After all being said, I am not condemning non BPW divers,just being genuinely curious.

Not being a jerk,but, besides a quick release buckles and such, what exactly is a point of back inflate vs BPW?
I understand people like jacket BCD, for encased feeling.
As far as I can tell, all back inflates are copies of BPW. If you go with pockets, you can put those on a harness. You like many d-rings? You can put as many as you want and where you want them in single piece harness.
Travel friendly? Alu back plate, or better yet, kydex plate and wing is not that heavy anyway. So, what is a point?
After all being said, I am not condemning non BPW divers,just being genuinely curious.

I suspect that for most users, its an ease-of-transition thing. Most of them have the same donning and doffing mechanisms etc of the jacket the diver is used to, and so is less intimidating to get into purchase wise. Also, most divers see a new type of gear at their LDS and its the tiny minority of LDS that stock BP/W and will show / encourage new divers to try them etc

Its also as intimidating as hell the first time you see a harness in a tiny packet and a bare steel plate and someone says "Theres your BCD, some assembly required"

I suspect that for most users, its an ease-of-transition thing. . . .

I transitioned from a jacket BC to a Zeagle Express for a while, until I transitioned on to a BP/W. It seemed to me that the Express was basically a BP/W but with a floppy plastic plate instead of a rigid metal plate, and with extra buckles and things (plastic). I replaced some of the plastic fittings with metal. Then I replaced the whole thing with a metal plate and wing from DSS. The Express was like a BP/W except without the advantages of having weight up against your back, a one-piece harness, metal hardware, etc.

Zeagle Stiletto for me - new out the door w/ an octo inflator was ~$630 6 yrs ago. I like the hose end connector for flushing it out, metal D-rings and in the right places .(for me at least), and enough pockets for what I carry. Still diving it and basically looks new after 350+ dives. That said, if I had to do it over it'd be a BPW and DIR/GUE configured. It's hard to argue the rationale behind that configuration.

I'm happy with my old Zeagle Escape, which is very similar to the current Stilleto. I'd definitely recommend one of the Zeagles.

OP, you should either head to GMI (373 E Marine Dr) and talk to Jim. He will set you up nicely in a BP/W or talk to Jenetta at MDA. I believe both of them will give you a good discount on gear for the work you are doing. The mentioned Oceanic, Hollis, brands are available at MDA. If you chose Zeagle, Axe Murderers is your only choice locally on Guam.

EDIT: Depending upon the project you are associated with, you may qualify for wholesale pricing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom