An open letter to liveaboard operators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@nudisusie

I went on the Philippine Siren a year ago. As all the boats are the same...

The Layouts are well thought out. The Dive deck is great with each station having a seat and a draw for small item storage. In the lounge area each person has 2 more storage bins.

Our room was a twin near the rear and was huge, the crew were good, and the dive staff treated everyone like adults. By that you had small groups and they gave you a lot of latitude, in line with your experience. Those with camera rigs were grouped together so everyone go the type of diving they were looking for.

The only issue we had was our compressor broke so we had to stay near to shore to allow for tank fills to be completed off the boat. Perhaps this affected the sites we visited. Certainly the crew were working hard with the tank fills. Anyway enjoy your trip.

@diverdoug1

My towel solution to towels on liveaboards is simple. The beach changing robe. Now they don't look stylish (even though mine is branded Billabong) and everyone gives you a funny look. Once.... Than after the first dive everyone gets it.

You simply get up and throw it over your swimming costume, Post dive, the same again. especially great for after the early morning dive when the sun isn't yet warm, for breakfast (rather than having to rush to change) and of course after the night dive.

I've had to bring them out when repeating on a boat for some of the staff. Other guest who dive a lot always ask where to get them. In the UK you get thicker ones that have a water proof exterior for changing.

One my last boat one guest did question my sanity - me wearing it just before the check dive as it was 28C (82F) Until I pointed out that the day time temps where I'd just come from were near 48C (118F) so it didn't feel warm to me. The next morning when it was grey skies with a bit of a breeze, there was no laughing :D

We just air ours during each dive, I wouldn't travel without one

3251_l.jpg

@nudisusie

I went on the Philippine Siren a year ago. As all the boats are the same...

The Layouts are well thought out. The Dive deck is great with each station having a seat and a draw for small item storage. In the lounge area each person has 2 more storage bins.

Our room was a twin near the rear and was huge, the crew were good, and the dive staff treated everyone like adults. By that you had small groups and they gave you a lot of latitude, in line with your experience. Those with camera rigs were grouped together so everyone go the type of diving they were looking for.

The only issue we had was our compressor broke so we had to stay near to shore to allow for tank fills to be completed off the boat. Perhaps this affected the sites we visited. Certainly the crew were working hard with the tank fills. Anyway enjoy your trip.

Thanks... I've been on Philippine siren (no compressor probs), indo siren, Fiji siren, Maldives siren and Palau siren. And agree with your info and assessment.
Next trip is the damai dua :)

I was going to book on the Siren in Palau before they developed "buoyancy challenges"

LOL! Yes she certainly had a buoyancy challenge, pleased it's now been overcome :)

To each their own, but most places I want to dive are hotter than anywhere else I have been, much less totally acclimated to, so I'll have to leave that method to you. I'm only diving in places where any clothes are almost too much. I'd think half way through the trip unlaundered, that thing might need its own room though.

It is amazing what temp AND humidity range the body is able to become acclimated to. Two Fijians I met were freezing and literally shaking at ~77 F, while I was still baking.

Just finished back to back trips aboard the Damai II liveaboard in Indonesia and was totally impressed by the whole
operation, flexibility and attention to guest needs.

The Crew - there were 20 crew for 12 guests, pretty impressive ratio that! They worked hard and seemed to be happy in their jobs, a couple of new crew joined for training on our second trip and they were straight away involved and all the crew helped each other out. Good team work

The overall boat was in good condition. We slept in cabin 1 (lower deck forward) and cabin 5 (lower deck rear with private balcony). Both cabins were well maintained, very spacious, bed linens were good quality, beds comfy, nice fluffy towels.
Cabin 1 had some creaking noise from the wooden walls and cabin 5 had quite loud noise from the engine which made
sleeping a bit difficult but after 4 dives I managed to drift off pretty well. We had an issue with the hot water heater half way through the first trip, so no hot water for showers but it was manageable. Everyone was offered a partial refund/trip credit before we’d even finished the trip and on our last night in port a new water heater was fitted so we were able to take a hot shower and all was fine on our second trip.

Cabin 1 had 1 a/c and cabin 5 had 2 a/cs. Always working well and no drips. Dining/lounge area had 3 a/c units and we
had to ask to switch one off as it could get pretty chilly in there.

Dive deck had a unique set up with individual stations, storage and your own camera rinse tank. Nitrox was always 30/31%. The dive team anaylse for you and write it up on the board, but you can also check yourself.

The camera room had individual stations with charging points and a cupboard underneath for storage. No problem to find a charging point. All the outlets are international style so fit any plug without need for adapters. We could plug in phone /
laptop in the room whilst we were in there but I agree with not leaving items plugged in as its a fire risk

Dive deck towels - i’ve never been on a boat where you are not given a towel for your own use. Siren gave numbered towels and changed daily, but Damai have marine life embroidered onto theirs so I of course choice the nudibranch! Our towels were always put at our stations for us and dried in the sun between dives. There were also extra towels for the sun deck.

The whole schedule was very flexible. Typically our cruise directors gave an approx time for the dives each day, but if we wished to go earlier or later they were always amenable. Groups were 4 to 1 guide, though my husband and I usually just went off on our own. As the meals are all a la carte there was no problem when people wished to dive longer as it didn’t disrupt other guests. Some people took 75 minute night dives brr! A couple of times during the trip we opted as a group to dive certain sites again. We had time in between dives to visit waterfalls, cruise islands, check out the fort in Banda and spent at least an hour watching 2 blue whales cruising about outside of Kaimana. I left with the impression that the trip is really geared to whatever the guests wish to do and that there isn’t a fixed schedule at all which was very relaxing.

PB031272.JPG
cabin 1.jpg
cabin 5.jpg
camera room.jpg
dive deck.jpg
lounge.jpg
PB031272.JPG cabin 1.jpg cabin 5.jpg camera room.jpg dive deck.jpg lounge.jpg

You're so spoiled

I'm so jealous

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom