An open letter to liveaboard operators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But the number one cause of boat fires according to USCG statistics? Lint traps on dryers on boats. They don't mention butt flop or dive snot in their report.

And I'm sure this is due to irresponsible people not cleaning it and not maintaining it properly. Empty lint traps don't catch fire!

Donna and I have not been to Cocos because we think she would not be able to handle the 36 hour boat ride, but everyone I have heard talking about it says it is very good sea life, but sometimes challenging dive conditions. If Donna ever gets over the seasick thing, we would like to go.

I've been looking at myself in the mirror and trying to recreate that look. :(

What do you think about Cocos Island? I've been getting discount spam already.

I forgot to tell you that I lost a perfectly good dive knife from my carry-on when coming through US customs. :theyareontome:

And left 2 safety reels and my wife left her wetsuit on the boat.

---------- Post added October 4th, 2015 at 12:11 PM ----------

And I'm sure this is due to irresponsible people not cleaning it and not maintaining it properly. Empty lint traps don't catch fire!
Not only the lint trap, but proper cleaning below the lint trap as well as the rest of the duct work. In electric dryers, the most common place for a fire to start is just blow the lint trap.

So if any of you folks who mentioned going to Cocos are interested, I am going with a group in early December and one person had to drop out. We will be aboard the Sea Hunter and the retail price is $5900 but the guy running the trip shares the commission and free spots with everyone so we are going for $4700. Only thing not included are flights and hotel the night before and night after the trip. (And tips) Dates on board the boat are December 1 - 11th.

If you know anything about going to Cocos, that's a heck of a deal!

Let me know if anyone is interested.

Reactions: RJP
Still trying for the clean towels? :)

had a charger get zapped before on holiday when they changed generators. being without camera would be horrible so i bought this second charger.

Always use a surge protector when you're on a liveaboard or anywhere where the power supply is suspect...

Did you ever give siren a try? I'm on damai next month... Will report back!!

Can't wait to hear all about the Damai! Is it I or II, you'll be on?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom