Hi from Vancouver BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hayleyfish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi. I've just completed my open water, while on vacation in Riviera Maya, and have now signed up for my Advanced Open Water here at home in Vancouver. I am crazy excited. I've wanted to do this for so long, but put it off thinking that I had to wait until I was super fit to take part. I'm healthy, but still have a fair amount of weight to lose and strength to build. This has really motivated me, and also fine tuned what was previously a very generic exercise program to much more specific to help with all the variables when diving. So I'm feeling very positive.

I'm looking forward to gaining dive experience along our beautiful coast line.

There is some really great diving in your neighborhood. This winter try to head out to Norris Rock(s?) to dive with the juvenile Stellar sea lions. A shallow dive (you'll be around 20' to 30'), and a must for any cold water diver. You can reach it via Hornby Island (with Hornby Island Diving, an amazing operation) or UB Diving out of Vancouver Island (a longer boat ride to it).

Check out Whytecliff Wednesdays on FB: Whytecliff Wednesdays Public Group | Facebook

There are some great folks who attend those.

This winter try to head out to Norris Rock(s?) to dive with the juvenile Stellar sea lions. A shallow dive (you'll be around 20' to 30'), and a must for any cold water diver. You can reach it via Hornby Island (with Hornby Island Diving, an amazing operation) or UB Diving out of Vancouver Island

Do the Sea Lions swim right up to humans, ignore them or avoid them?[/QUOTE]

Do the Sea Lions swim right up to humans, ignore them or avoid them?
The adults ignore you (unless you get really close to the rock and then they consider you a threat. Don't do that).

The juveniles jump off the rocks when they see a dive boat.

Here's a video from one of the people I was with the weekend I was there last February:

Thank you !
You also want to be there in the dead of winter for the largest population. IIRC, they start arriving in October and start leaving in April. They typically go north, but I did have one grab my fin in Elliot Bay of Seattle one night a couple of months ago.

If you have any plans to come over to Vancouver Island, bring your scuba gear, or there are great places to rent as well. There are some pretty great shore dives over here as well. :)

Thanks for the suggestions. I am so looking forward to my local dives. And definitely over on the island.

Back
Top Bottom