Diving incident at Eagles Nest Sink

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We'll never know why the didn't use that safety for sure.

Safety placement is a skill and it's not always obvious where good safety placement is.

In my OPINION the place where they had that safety wasn't a good spot.

...Nice screen grab, by the way ;-) ...

The placement of the safety is one of the big things for me to take away from this. Having safeties is great, but they have to be in a spot where they're not easy to miss and there's enough space to switch to it.

I couldn't agree more. It was definitely a significant hole in the swiss cheese on the day. If that stage had been further in the cave (where I think more experienced divers might have chosen to place it) or more visible the outcome could have been very different.

View attachment 384089 View attachment 384088

I think you guys are referring to the same place. I'm confused myself when reading Charlie Robertson Statement of Facts. I don't see where the Revelation Space or outside restriction to the Revelation Space in the Room of Dreams, or the exit side of the Pit restriction in 270 ffw. So, I take a stab on guessing the locations of the divers, scooters, diver2 CCR, AL80 safety tanks, 95 bailout tanks, etc., based on Charlie's statements, as shown in the picture, above. Feel free to correct me.
The very end of the Room of Dreams where it is marked Pen 1193 is the restriction. Very few of the maps show the restriction, halocline room, T, or Revelation space.

The very end of the Room of Dreams where it is marked Pen 1193 is the restriction. Very few of the maps show the restriction, halocline room, T, or Revelation space.

Thanks. I revised & replaced the sketch accordingly. It is now a bit clearer in following the Statement of Facts.

Thanks. I revised & replaced the sketch accordingly. It is now a bit clearer in following the Statement of Facts.

The diagram you posted makes events a lot clearer for me since I am not familiar with that cave system.

The diagram you posted makes events a lot clearer for me since I am not familiar with that cave system.

Welcome to my club. I was confused too at the beginning when reading the Statement of Facts & referring to available Eagle's Nest map, didn't see where the Revelation Space is located in the map. Also learning there are more that one restriction. I thought the restriction was only into & out of the Pit.

The web available maps all seem to be pretty old. There are misssing rooms and rooms that are commonly called something else by current divers.

It's more often about protecting reputations ... or a dive op or dive site that people don't want to see jeopardized.
This is how I see it. "Oh noes! They were wearing our gear!!!"

We've seen the video,
We have??? Please, please post the link. Hopefully it's in our Accidents/Incidents forum and I just missed it.

David Shaw (2005) video:

Here's the gas density thread posted by Mr. Mitchell I mentioned earlier. Again, I'm NOT suggesting in any way this has anything to do with this incident. Simply pointing out what was learned.

Gas density guidelines

Here's the presentation.

We have??? Please, please post the link. Hopefully it's in our Accidents/Incidents forum and I just missed it.

Pete, Dan_T posted it in this thread and it's also in Simon Mitchell's CCR presentation.

Back
Top Bottom