Do you use sun screen when going on your dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Z Gear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I wanted to bring this subject up because I was alarmed to find out that a lot of sunscreens contain a certain chemical "Oxybenzone". This chemical has a toxic effect on young coral and causes endocrine disruption, DNA damage and coral death, among other problems. This is exacerbating coral bleaching because so much this chemical is being exposed to these reef on a regular basis.

We in CA don't use sun screen to dive maybe a little Zinc oxide on the face in the summer time, when doing a
long kick out to the kelp beds in mid afternoon. I do use it though when I surf. I definetely want to a more environmentally safe product but I am not sure what is recommended,

If anyone can recommend a good effective sunscreen that does not contain this chemical please share it with everyone. This is an article with a suncreen that I was interested in and was hoping to find out if any body has tried it and liked using it.
Coral Reef Safe Sunscreen Information - Badger

I think this message is worth mentioning to as many water loving people as possible, it is just another thing we can consider doing for the sake of protecting our reefs!!!

Frank G
www.zgearinc.com

Last edited:
Reef safe stuff on my nose. Otherwise a long sleeved T shirt and a hat until I'm in my wetsuit.

The brands advertised as reef safe seem to vary in effectiveness, according to articles I have read. And they are pricey. I gave up trying to find one and now just wear enough clothing (hat, shirt, etc.) to protect myself. That's the cheapest option and the surest way to do my bit for the reefs.

I agree with Lorenzoid. The exception though is that I use a little of the Badger, zinc oxide base on my nose, cheeks and top of my ears.

the "safe for reef" sunscreens and I do not get along. When I do use sunscreen by any body of water, I use a waterproof (sweat proof) kind, and sparingly. Just on my nose and ears. The rest is covered by clothing/hat

_R

I DO use a water-resistant sunscreen - Blue Lizard Sensitive - when I dive, simply because my face / neck get (painfully) fried without it. I always wear a long sleeve top (Sharkskin) under my wetsuit so that I can peel the top of the suit off between dives to avoid overheating. And, when on shore / boat I have a wide brimmed hat. But, when I am teaching OW, and AOW, I spend a bit of time on the surface, and that is deadly for my skin without screen.

I apply BLS before the first dive of the day, occasionally again at midday. The 'active' ingredients are zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, which are considered 'reef safe'. There are a number of inert (as far as sun protection goes) ingredients, which have not been tested for their effects on coral.

My biggest problem with sunscreen - when I use it, my masks fogs and I find myslef clearing the mask frequently.

The draw back to using a product comprised of mainly Zinc Oxide is that "Zombie" look I would presume.
But then again what other choices do you have. Maybe a good tinted version? I think I am going to use a hat when kicking out from shore (on mid afternoon dive) then perhaps I can clip it them off rather than using the Zinc Oxide, I also find that I do also get some fogging issues and can also mess of my seal on the bottom of my mask.
Frank G
www.zgearinc.com

The draw back to using a product comprised of mainly Zinc Oxide is that "Zombie" look I would presume.
LOL. That can be an issue although I find that if BLS, at least, is applied and rubbed in, it is not too bad.

For some of us, the alternative to the "Zombie" look, is the "Nuclear Reactor Exposure" look - the beet red face - if we don't use sunscreen. :)

I sometimes use a very small amount of sunscreen, often none at all.

On warm days, when I am on shore or on a boat, I wear the rashguard in my profile pic or one like it, and a floppy hat with a chin strap. On cooler days I wear regular clothes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom