Let's discuss peoples over-reliance on BC's and over-weighting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It wouldn't surprise me a bit, but the dive shop didn't have any 1lb weights, so I couldn't get the distribution I need to keep my trim proper if I went lighter. So I made the conscious decision to dive a bit heavy in order to be in good trim in the currents in Coz.

Nothing wrong in diving a bit heavy, I do it all the time (currents and using steel tanks to give bigger reserve margin), and I appreciate 1lbs are hard to get, I normally make 2lb adjustments. As long as you recognise and know that you are over, rather than thinking you're correct. Again not picking on you, just used you as an example.

Lots of people dive heavy and adapt their style to get over this, assuming (or convinced) they're at the right weight. I've witness people being over weighted (by a lot) and having just 2lbs removed not being able to get down, or claiming to be too light etc When it's in their head. It was demonstrated to me once, on me. I was that person. The instructor/guide took a couple of lbs off me without my knowledge and continued to do so over the course of a week. Only near teh end did he tell me. That dive I felt light until I reminded myself I'd been diving that weight already so was okay. The mind can play tricks on us all

They do make elevators for divers, they call them stages or dive bells and they are used all the time in hard had diving (they don't use BCDs ether just proper buoyancy for the job at hand).

Less drag=less effort=lower sac=more bottom time, isn't that what it is all about?

Totally agree.

With a steel I know I'm overweight, but have no more lead to lose. It's visually demonstrated when I look at my SAC graph from my computer and compare that with an AL 80. With my Steel there is a huge peak as I'm adding air to my BC on the way down compared to the AL. And the overall SAC rate is quite different too. I balance that out with the desire to have extra reserve gas and so make that compromise.

Even if you feel about right, it's surprising how much difference it makes

I dive steel exclusively because I like the way they balance, but being a giant (6'10" tall and 285 lbs) I need a few lbs to be right.

I actually use the same weight on scuba as I do freediving. There is no added weight from my backpack (plastic) when I have to use a wet suit thicker than 1mm I switch to my SS backplate and add a few lbs to the belt. I switched to a soft weight belt so I can adjust weight in the water with out taking the belt off. makes trimming my self a breeze.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom