Let's discuss peoples over-reliance on BC's and over-weighting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heh. I loved it when I went to Coz, and could drop my lead requirement from 24lb in New England (7mm full suit) to 12 lb (3mm shorty). If I had access to 1lb weights (the smallest ones the shop had was 2lb), I could have gotten down to 10 lb.

With an Al 80, that still seems to be far too much weight

It might be a little bit much; maybe 8lb would work, but I have a bit of floaty bioprene and a big mask to counteract, too. I didn't try anything below 10, largely because I just wanted to get into the water and start looking at things, rather than spending more time on perfecting my weights.

I don't know. Wouldn't it depend on his weight and body composition (i.e., percentage of fat)? He's using 50% more weight than I use in similar circumstances (16 lbs in a 7mm and 8 lbs in a 3mm). *If I'm doing my maths correctly.*

Last edited:
I don't know. Wouldn't it depend on his weight and body composition (e.g., percentage of fat)? He's using 50% more weight than I use in similar circumstances (16 lbs in a 7mm and 8 lbs in a 3mm). *If I'm doing my maths correctly.*

I know my cold-weather weight is good; I tried 22 lb, and couldn't hold depth. I set my weights for 6' though, because of all the shallow shore diving I do, so that makes me a bit heavier than someone who sets their weights for 15'. That's with a thick 7mm suit, 5mm hood, 5mm booties + 3mm socks, dry gloves, and an AL80. I think my BC is pretty light compared to many as well, though I haven't tested its buoyancy all by itself. I also am 6' 190lb.

Last edited:

I think you should start an online business telling people how much weight they need. I've never seen anyone that could do that very precisely in person so you must be very good to do it on the internet.

I know my cold-weather weight is good; I tried 22 lb, and couldn't hold depth. I set my weights for 6' though, because of all the shallow shore diving I do, so that makes me a bit heavier than someone who sets their weights for 15'. That's with a thick 7mm suit, 5mm hood, 5mm booties + 3mm socks, dry gloves, and an AL80. I think my BC is pretty light compared to many as well, though I haven't tested its buoyancy all by itself. I also am 6' 190lb.

I won't argue your cold water setup. It seems fine.

Your warm water though.. I'm 6'3 & 200lb, so not dissimilar to you. A full 3mm and Single Al 80 requires 2lb. Okay I'm divign a wing (no back plate) so a BCD maybe 6lb total. Although I dive frequently - regular and frequent experience counts

I'm not having a go at you, just pointing out that people do get accustomed to weight. I be if you took 1lb off every 2 dives on the trip you'd be surprised that you could take off some more. Have a go one day

Well, you should need more weight than me. I'm 5'6 about about 150. Female. I almost never empty my tank, and haven't weighted myself in a variety of conditions with an empty tank, so my feel for proper weighting almost always includes weight from the gas in the tank. I should mention that I have 2 dives in the 7mm, both in a quarry and getting that correct weighting will be a work in progress.

I won't argue your cold water setup. It seems fine.

Your warm water though.. I'm 6'3 & 200lb, so not dissimilar to you. A full 3mm and Single Al 80 requires 2lb. Okay I'm divign a wing (no back plate) so a BCD maybe 6lb total. Although I dive frequently - regular and frequent experience counts

I'm not having a go at you, just pointing out that people do get accustomed to weight. I be if you took 1lb off every 2 dives on the trip you'd be surprised that you could take off some more. Have a go one day

It wouldn't surprise me a bit, but the dive shop didn't have any 1lb weights, so I couldn't get the distribution I need to keep my trim proper if I went lighter. So I made the conscious decision to dive a bit heavy in order to be in good trim in the currents in Coz.

I think you should start an online business telling people how much weight they need. I've never seen anyone that could do that very precisely in person so you must be very good to do it on the internet.
Maybe I should. It's gut feel based on experience. I've never yet had to buy a drink taken as a bet that I could get weight off someone's belt.

My weight changes almost every dive depending on what I am doing. Weight is a personal thing and what is good for one isn't good for another person.

If you need to fill your bc half way to hit neutral at depth you can drop some lead. If a BCD was designed as a diver elevator device it would be called that, they are for COMPENSATING for the compression of the suit and your air spaces (you don't breath as deeply underwater as you do on surface, at least I don't). I think somewhere along the way people forgot that. You would be surprised how much less drag you have when your BC has less air in it (or none at all).

Back
Top Bottom