02 safety stop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

salt h20

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
im just curious if breathing 100% o2 on your safety stop after a non decompression dive would benefit u? if so how? seems like it would.

I would say yes, it would benefit you. It would allow you to off-gas more nitrogen before breaking the surface. It seems like an added step of caution on top of an "already there" step of caution (the safety stop). To breath 100% O2 requires advanced nitrox/tech training - which is why I would say most rec divers wouldn't do it.

Well I think that it likely would benefit you for the same reason as decompressing on O2 would. It would help flush out the Nitrogen faster. I do something similar in the respect that I sling a bottle of 40% or 50% on my NDL dives, and I switch to it for my ascent at the appropriate depth. I do this primarily for practice with my deco training, but it does help flush the N2 faster.

salt h20:
im just curious if breathing 100% o2 on your safety stop after a non decompression dive would benefit u? if so how? seems like it would.

It might benefit you, but only marginally. Gases take a good 3-5 minutes to circulate through your system and realize full benefit. That's about the same amount of time as a safety stop, so you'd be ascending by the time your system got flushed with O2 anyhow.

I just remembered meeting a guy a while back before I was getting into my deco training, that said after a deco dive he would sit on the boat and breathe the rest of his O2. I don't know if there is any proof that continuing on O2 after a deco dive would help at all, I would imagine it certainly wouldn't hurt, provided you didn't breathe too long on it and cause tissue damage to your lungs.

May not help on a standard rec profile but wont hurt provided buoyancy and so on is good enough to maintain depth and the PP1.6.

Its overkill though for most profiles i suspect.

Beware of the masking effect O2 can have. Yes it helps, I would not suggest doing it unless properlty trained. If you want a safer profile, it would make more sense to dive EAN and use the standard NDL tables, which would be cheaper as well, again not without training.

I’m going to say yes and no. I’m behind it and I’m against it. Will it benefit you? Maybe yes, maybe no.

First off a very large majority of recreational divers have trouble with one gas and just the standard diving gear. Now throw in a second bottle and reg and you have a recipe for disaster.

For example; you have the bottle on and a panicked diver grabs the wrong reg at depth you have just compounded the problem. You have the bottle off and try to take a breath, suck nothing, freak out and bolt to the surface creating a problem. We could what if this to death but I think the risk out weighs the benefit.

If you feel the urge to go on 100% O2 do it ON the boat or on the shore. Without a great deal of experience and additional training the potential for a disaster is just way to high. O2 is a very dangerous drug and is not something to be played with.

Gary D.

I would think breathing it on the boat would be a bad Idea. It would hide any dci symptoms. Isnt this the same reason you take people off O2 when treated?

Breathing O2 doesn't hide dci symptoms, it relieves them. The treatment for dci is breathing pure O2 at elevated pressure (hyperbaric treatment), with air breaks as appropriate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom