(05 JUN 05) Missing diver at Whytecliff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daryl Morse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just heard on the radio at 5:00 PM that there is a missing diver at Whytecliff.

There were no more details than "a diver is an hour overdue".

As always when this sort of thing happens, I feel very sad for the family and friends of this diver.

Daryl Morse:
Just heard on the radio at 5:00 PM that there is a missing diver at Whytecliff.

There were no more details than "a diver is an hour overdue".

As always when this sort of thing happens, I feel very sad for the family and friends of this diver.

I wasn't watching, but a family member just told me that the missing diver made the 6 oclock BCTV news. I've said a prayer for the diver and his family, but something tells me, this won't end happily. There must be someone from the boards here that was at Whytecliff today that could give more details on what happened.

Nali

From NEWS1130:

The area just around the bend from the beach at Whytecliff Park is known as the Cut to local divers. West Vancouver police say it is very deep and the currents are quite strong there. Two friends, an 18-year-old and 19-year-old, were diving together on Sunday afternoon. They were trying to go 150 feet down, but the water was murky and they lost contact with each other. The 19-year-old took another 20 minutes before he resurfaced and called police. Around 7pm the search was called off. Although no body has been found the coroner has been notified. At one point searchers were confused when a woman diver turned up on the beach. It turns out she ran into some trouble during an unrelated dive near Bowen Island and ended up at Whytecliff Park.

END

I think they got the Bowen Island thing mixed up.

My thoughts are with the family and the buddy.

Caught this on the news this am. My thoughts and sympathy to the family and friends.

Simon.

kazinvan:
Why did the buddy wait 20 minutes to come up? If anyone gets details, pleae post.
For what it's worth, it was reported on the CKNW news this morning that the 20 minute ascent was due to decompression, which could be correct if the divers descended to 150 fsw. That said, it was also reported that the cut is only 130 fsw deep.

Daryl Morse:
For what it's worth, it was reported on the CKNW news this morning that the 20 minute ascent was due to decompression, which could be correct if the divers descended to 150 fsw. That said, it was also reported that the cut is only 130 fsw deep.
They must have been looking at an old chart in fathoms

This is a very sad thing. My condolences to the family. I think we have lost 3 this year in BC.

Here is an image of a navigation chart for the Whytecliff Park area. The contours and soundings are in metres. As you can see, a dive to 150 fsw takes you out quite far beyond the day marker.

Depth in meters. The wall isn't vertical to 600' but does end up at 600' in fairly short order.
Whytecliff1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom