1,149.5-pound shark caught in Gulf

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, with the size and age...it will be full of Mercury amongst other heavy metals. I hope they enjoy it.:mooner:

Carolyn:shark2:

Well, with the size and age...it will be full of Mercury amongst other heavy metals. I hope they enjoy it.:mooner:

I never thought of the mercury. I wonder how old a fish that size is?

Ciguatera's a risk as well (I probably spelled that wrong). I have nothing against fishing, and I think fish are delicious, but there's no need to kill such a fish unless it's chewing on your leg. WTH are you going to do with 500lbs of shark roasts? Pure ego stroke imho

Originally Posted by Spearone
I never thought of the mercury. I wonder how old a fish that size is?

Probably well over 50 yrs old. Since most species of shark do not breed until they are about 10-15 yrs old, their natural lifecycle can span over 100 yrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetland
Ciguatera's a risk as well (I probably spelled that wrong). I have nothing against fishing, and I think fish are delicious, but there's no need to kill such a fish unless it's chewing on your leg. WTH are you going to do with 500lbs of shark roasts? Pure ego stroke imho

Ciguatoxin has not been found in sharks as of yet. It is prolific in tropical areas in many predator species such as barracuda and grouper. It is definitely nasty stuff and cannot be cooked out due to the biotoxin's resistance to heat.

There is nothing we can do but educate those about the plights of our oceans and hopefully start correcting the mentality out there.

Ciguatoxin has not been found in sharks as of yet. It is prolific in tropical areas in many predator species such as barracuda and grouper. It is definitely nasty stuff and cannot be cooked out due to the biotoxin's resistance to heat.

Wow, that's surprising. I've never heard of it in sharks, but assumed that as apex predators, that they would have developed as carriers. Perhaps they have some mechanism to resist the accumulation of the toxin.....

that pisses me off, shark fishing should be outlawed

I think it is outlawed in Australia (I know spearfishing with diving gear is!) which is why they are now eating surfers! Let's fly these fishermen over to Australia and they can catch the renegade white pointers that are eating surfers at Sydney beaches and also some other type of shark that recently chomped on a navy diver in Sydney harbour, which in my opinion is only good for yachting and boozy harbour and tourist cruises!) Maybe they might get pulled overboard!:shakehead:

From what I understand...the navy diver was in murky water and the surfer was diving in conditions that beg for an attack, ie time of day and poor water visibility. You can't blame the fish, we are in it's home looking like the food they attack every day. Some days you are playing the odds doing sports that can put you in harms way of predators.

PS: ((((CLOFTY)))) Hope to see you at Spring-Spring Fest!

Wow, that's surprising. I've never heard of it in sharks, but assumed that as apex predators, that they would have developed as carriers. Perhaps they have some mechanism to resist the accumulation of the toxin.....

Actually I did find a listing of 3 cases where it has been in shark(it did not list the species), but it is not as prolific as in other fish, especially the fish that eat the smaller fish that eat the algae that contains the bacteria that causes the toxin. What a mess!

Examples of Fish that Have Been Known to Carry Ciguatoxins

black grouper [external link] blackfin snapper [external link] cubera snapper [external link] dog snapper [external link] barracuda [external link] greater amberjack [external link] hogfish
[external link] horse-eye jack [external link] king mackerel [external link] yellowfin grouper [external link]

The newest alert...a little too close to home!

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2008/NEW01790.html

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/ciguatera/default.htm
http://www.cspinet.org/foodsafety/outbreak/outbreaks.php?column=pathogenGroup&colval=Ciguatoxin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom