1/2 inch speargun bungee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anybody know where I can get about 2 feet of 1/2 speargun bungee. I’m replacing the bungee on my busted mares strap.
Since you are in Wisconsin, alot of us use www.SpearitCo.com when a local FLorida store doesn't stock what's needed. SpearitCo stocks a very wide selection of band material in all different color & sizes. You can also order just a couple of feet and they will cut most anything, bag it and ship it. They pretty much use Primeline bungee material which has excellent performance, long lasting and consistent stretch. If you don't tie your own bands, you can call them on the phone, tell them what your application is and they will tie and make exactly what you want.Their website is pretty good to get an idea what's available. Due to the lower cost of the product, it's possible that shipping might be more than the item. But the quality and quick shipping is fantastic.

So when did they start using thread wrapped multi stranded rubber for spear guns

I’m trying to replace the broken bungee on my mares strap. It uses a European style spear gun mount. Now I’m trying to figure out how to get the bungee into the plastic fitting that screws into the buckle.

So when did they start using thread wrapped multi stranded rubber for spear guns
I'm not sure if I'm answering your question, so it would be best if you posted a picture of what you described. Many speargun changes started in California with the freedivers and then Florida & other areas picked up on them and did their own changes. Back in the 1940's (&before) spearo's were getting latex tubing from medical offices and using them as speargun bands. They would use cotton thread to make the wishbones and also to tie the wishbones to the latex tubing. At the time it was just one band per gun, but more is better(?) and now some guns have 5-7 bands all loaded on top of a Tuna gun. Since the cotton thread was breaking too often, some spearo's switched to small nylon ring clamps to hold the latex rubber band onto the wishbone which was now made of solid or stranded wire. Like everything there are trade-offs for different configurations and different types of spearfishing. There are thousands of configurations of spearing items-each meant to solve a different type of underwater hunting better.

Bands_diagram.jpg

I’m trying to replace the broken bungee on my mares strap. It uses a European style spear gun mount. Now I’m trying to figure out how to get the bungee into the plastic fitting that screws into the buckle.
Can you post a close up cell phone picture of the plastic fitting & buckle ?

{Edit to add...}

Whoops............
If this picture is what you mean...........It's way above my spearfishing level & can't help
Picture credit=Diver's Direct & purchase link is:

mares-fin-strap.jpg

I'm not sure if I'm answering your question, so it would be best if you posted a picture of what you described. Many speargun changes started in California with the freedivers and then Florida & other areas picked up on them and did their own changes. Back in the 1940's (&before) spearo's were getting latex tubing from medical offices and using them as speargun bands. They would use cotton thread to make the wishbones and also to tie the wishbones to the latex tubing. At the time it was just one band per gun, but more is better(?) and now some guns have 5-7 bands all loaded on top of a Tuna gun. Since the cotton thread was breaking too often, some spearo's switched to small nylon ring clamps to hold the latex rubber band onto the wishbone which was now made of solid or stranded wire. Like everything there are trade-offs for different configurations and different types of spearfishing. There are thousands of configurations of spearing items-each meant to solve a different type of underwater hunting better.

View attachment 811709
Any tips for getting the ball bearing back into the bungee for the European style threaded mount?

Any tips for getting the ball bearing back into the bungee for the European style threaded mount?
Without your picture, this reply maybe completely useless to you cause I don't know what you have.
But here goes.......just trying to help......

I use the Euro adapters on my speargun. In the picture below you can see the tiny hole in the middle of the rubber bungee tube. And in the vise is clamped the big ball adapter that must be squeezed into that tiny hole. It is almost impossible to do unless the ball adapter is in a fix mount to stop it from moving/wiggling. You can try two people holding a pair of vise grips, but honestly it wiggles too much and doesn't work. You want to take a 'drop' of your mask defog and put it on the center of the tiny hole and let it drip inside. Use windex if no defog, but never liquid soap nor oil/grease because the ball clamp will slide off when stretched. The defog and windex will dry after it's on and provide a dry grip. If you have none of the above, then Spit on it !! With the ball adapter in a vise and the tiny hole wet, use both hands to force the rubber band down over the ball till it is inserted. After it's inserted you'll need to clamp or tie it just below the ball hump that you'll see on the rubber. Kinda like a snake who ate an egg and you can see the hump. That's where the clamp or tie will need to occur so the ball won't slip out past it.

Does any of this apply & make sense ??

Bands_threaded_insert.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom