1.5mm or 3mm full suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mullannix930

Contributor
Reaction score
I had the zipper completly break on my 3/2 wetsuit. The company that made it isn't willing to fix it, but I am not that concerned about it since it was a cheap suit.

I am now looking to replace it with a better brand, but I am stuck with a question. Should I buy a 3/2 or buy a 1.5mm and use my core warmer? I know it isn't much, but the 1.5 is almost $50 less than the 3/2. I guess the question is, is the 3/2 going to be warmer than a 1.5mm in the limbs (I know the core will be warmer with a 3mm core warmer)? Also.. is a 3/2 more durable than a 1.5 with all things being the same?

Just for informational purposes, my old suit was a SeaElite, and the new one will be NEOSPORT XSPAN. I know some of you don't like the neosport, but i have a 7mm that I love, and I can replace it if I wear it out.

---------- Post added August 19th, 2013 at 08:12 PM ----------

I forgot to mention, I'm diving in KY and this is the suit I will use in the upper 2 thermal levels. If it gets below 70 I will be going with one of my warmer suits.

Are you stuck on Neoprene? In all honesty, the new Lavacore and Thermocline products are far superior. At about 50ft depth, these are warmer than a 5mm wetsuit because they don't compress. On the surface and shallow, they are similar to a 2mm wetsuit. They are also windproof, so when you are on the dive boat heading back to shore, you don't have that shiver effect.

If your stuck on Neoprene, the Xspan product is incredible for the money! Super Stretch, super comfort, super value.

I'd go with the 3/2. I suspect it will keep you warmer than the 1.5mm with core warmer, and it will definitely keep you warmer if you combine the 3/2 with the core warmer. That gives you many more options for water temps. I have a 1.5mm Xspan t-shirt which I like a lot. No issues with it yet, but my 3/2 suit appears more durable.

James

I agree with James. Given the two choices, I would go with the 3/2 with the option of adding a core warmer to that if needed.

I agree with the above. given the choices I'd take the 3/2 as well, and having bought a 3/2 myself I'd prefer to go back and buy a full 3mm with glued seams. It's easy to cool off underwater, it's hard to warm up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom