1 dead 1 missing during drift diving on fast currents, Okinawa, Japan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

apedai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99

Translate by Google
On the 18th, two men who were diving off the coast of Taketomi Town, Okinawa Prefecture, went missing. The Japan Coast Guard searched and found one person, but he was confirmed dead. The search for the remaining person continues. According to the Japan Coast Guard, at around 12:30 p.m. on the 18th, two passengers who were drift diving went missing off the coast of Iriomote Island in Taketomi Town, although they were scheduled to surface an hour earlier. The incident was reported by a person involved in diving. The Japan Coast Guard and fire department searched and found one person about two hours after the report, but he was found unconscious and dead. The search for the remaining person continues. Drift diving is an advanced method of diving and moving underwater while being carried by the current. In Okinawa, an accident occurred in June of this year in which seven people went missing off the coast of Itoman City, and the Japan Coast Guard reported that the rope connecting the instructor to the float floating on the sea surface came loose and the divers were lost. Assuming that this was the cause of the accident, we are instructing the two companies to take measures to prevent recurrence, such as establishing a means of communication.

I though night dives are always in calm placid and easy conditions as a rule… didn’t know that people also attempt drift diving in the dark…

Not sure where night diving is involved. The translated article refers to 12:30 pm which is just after noon.

You are right! Apologies but I must have I misread something at first glance…

You are right! Apologies but I must have I misread something at first glance…
translate error,午後0時30分means 12:30 afternoon

Translate by Google
On the 18th, two men who were diving off the coast of Taketomi Town, Okinawa Prefecture, went missing. The Japan Coast Guard searched and found one person, but he was confirmed dead. The search for the remaining person continues. According to the Japan Coast Guard, at around 12:30 p.m. on the 18th, two passengers who were drift diving went missing off the coast of Iriomote Island in Taketomi Town, although they were scheduled to surface an hour earlier. The incident was reported by a person involved in diving. The Japan Coast Guard and fire department searched and found one person about two hours after the report, but he was found unconscious and dead. The search for the remaining person continues. Drift diving is an advanced method of diving and moving underwater while being carried by the current. In Okinawa, an accident occurred in June of this year in which seven people went missing off the coast of Itoman City, and the Japan Coast Guard reported that the rope connecting the instructor to the float floating on the sea surface came loose and the divers were lost. Assuming that this was the cause of the accident, we are instructing the two companies to take measures to prevent recurrence, such as establishing a means of communication.
For the second incident mentioned: I don't know the details of the incident but it seems like the group was way to big for a strong drift dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom