1 year warranty on a SeaDoo knockoff?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, "just north of 50#" is too heavy, as I have to lug it on shore dives, often with less than ideal entry/exit.

No, "just north of 50#" is too heavy, as I have to lug it on shore dives, often with less than ideal entry/exit.

Having lived and dived in MA for years before moving to CA, I assure you, the shore dives here are a lot more difficult. :wink: Getting the Sierra in (35#) is rarely a problem. The Mako is usually doable.

If you're worried about non-ideal entries/exits, the absolute last thing you want is a "toy" scooter.

Hmm. If you can go a bit higher, I'd highly recommend a used Mako (with tow cord). It's more of a "real" scooter than the Sea-Doos, etc. You won't be sending it in every few dives for a flood. I have one (and a Sierra). It's about as fast as the Sierra and runs for a bit longer (almost 60 minutes fully pitched). With some cheap mods (e.g. new faceplate), these are good to 170'. Not too heavy at just north of 50#. Used, they're about $800-1200 depending on age and modifications.

I think it depends on what type of diving you want to do and the amount of power you need to get there. The Sea Doo is capable of getting you to your site without much fuss. It requires 2 hands to steer (which can be a draw back) but has 3 speeds and is rated to 160'. Grant it the first round that rolled off the production floor were crap, the new company making them seems to be doing a good job. They were listing for around $800. It has a run time of about an hour (at least that's what mine gets). It's more of a play around toy. Relatively inexpensive and simple to operate. I also have an X Scooter (Sierra and Cuda) and those are real work horses!! Cost a good bit more but will give you more than enough power to get most any where with depth ratings beyond 300' I believe. The choice you makes depends on what you want to spend and the type of diving you want to do. I like to use the Sea Doos to introduce my students to scootering and they are a blast.

I think it depends on what type of diving you want to do and the amount of power you need to get there. The Sea Doo is capable of getting you to your site without much fuss. It requires 2 hands to steer (which can be a draw back) but has 3 speeds and is rated to 160'. Grant it the first round that rolled off the production floor were crap, the new company making them seems to be doing a good job. They were listing for around $800. It has a run time of about an hour (at least that's what mine gets). It's more of a play around toy. Relatively inexpensive and simple to operate.
Yes, that pretty much sounds like what I need. Especially reliability. You mean Sea Doo Explorer, right?

Well, I read the reviews of Explorer on Amazon and Leisurepro websites, and found more horror stories. In particular, Leisurepro had 16 reviews with average rating "3", but no reviewer actually gave Explorer "3" rating -- they were mostly "5" (works great) or "1" (not at all), in about equal numbers.

OTOH, VS Supercharged got almost all good reviews on both websites. Even the worst one ("2" rating) was because it was insufficiently powerful, not because it failed to work.

Go figure...

Last edited:
for $150 and it breaks in a year why worry about it buy a new one

150.00 can be donated to Kiva - Loans that change lives where you augment the lives of people struggling to make ends meet. You can microloan to folks in the US too.

If you know you are getting a piece of crap - why spend the money? A used Mako will provide far better service than something that ultimately can't be fixed? :shakehead:

I say this because a dive outfitter I worked with bought some pieces of scooter crap and ultimately no one ever used the suckers and they sat, rusted out and the batteries corroded inside the hulls.

X

150.00 can be donated to Kiva - Loans that change lives where you augment the lives of people struggling to make ends meet. You can microloan to folks in the US too.

If you know you are getting a piece of crap - why spend the money? A used Mako will provide far better service than something that ultimately can't be fixed? :shakehead:

I say this because a dive outfitter I worked with bought some pieces of scooter crap and ultimately no one ever used the suckers and they sat, rusted out and the batteries corroded inside the hulls.

X

I rather tuck the money under the mattress then send it there, but seriously if you know you are getting something for cheap and it craps out after a year you can't complain and any extra time is a bonus. I haven't searched for used or new DPVs but have a general idea what they go for.

If you can find a used one for $150 you could wind up in the same exact boat

Yes, that pretty much sounds like what I need. Especially reliability. You mean Sea Doo Explorer, right?

Well, I read the reviews of Explorer on Amazon and Leisurepro websites, and found more horror stories. In particular, Leisurepro had 16 reviews with average rating "3", but no reviewer actually gave Explorer "3" rating -- they were mostly "5" (works great) or "1" (not at all), in about equal numbers.

OTOH, VS Supercharged got almost all good reviews on both websites. Even the worst one ("2" rating) was because it was insufficiently powerful, not because it failed to work.

Go figure...

Yes the Explorer. I think the reviews were on the original Sea Doo Explorer. The new ones should have much better reviews. I love mine and am glad that Body Glove finally got it right!!

I rather tuck the money under the mattress then send it there, but seriously if you know you are getting something for cheap and it craps out after a year you can't complain and any extra time is a bonus. I haven't searched for used or new DPVs but have a general idea what they go for.

If you can find a used one for $150 you could wind up in the same exact boat

The micro loans also apply to folks here in the US. I was surprised to find that out. Poverty in America is no joke. Additionally, anyone living in NJ needs it for the exorbitant property tax you guys pay. :D

If I had a financial strategy with regards to equipment I try to buy the best, or better than middle of the road. This way I am assured to some extent that the piece of equipment I buy will give me the service I want. At the end of the day it's all dependent upon the level or service someone wants. I hope Body Glove made reasonable improvements on the original design.

X

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom