10/09/04 accident at Monastery Beach (Carmel) aka ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is the kind of cockiness that gets divers in trouble at this beach. Trust me, this is a good dive site that you do NOT want to be COMPLACEMENT!

This dive site has changed somewhat over the last few seasons and I would expect it changes with the constantly varying surf conditions. The most troubling delema is the exit. This information only pertain to the South side. I do not dive the North. The South Cove section at the surf can get steep just a few feet into the water. The sand is very loose there. Please keep a sharp eye on waders there also.

Prior to entry make TIME to surf and how it breaks at the beach. You need fairly long intervals. I do not recall what is recommended ask an instructor. I suppose at least 20seconds probably more.

What happens when you are comming out you can't normnally stand up because of the depth. Usually 4ft or more. This is just one reason to crawl out to dry sand. With your regulator in your mouth and plently of air in your tank. Its a good chance you may need to stay in to try and retrieve something! Why did someone say deflate your BC? I prefer to have as much assistance at this point. Seems like air in the BC would be a good thing.

There really are not much rock or boulders in this section so falling down is not a big deal. Expect it to happen. A regulator in your mouth, with air, is a good thing! And a Mask on is also good! I think I have had an engaged mask or two washed off my head on exit, so expect that to happen also. Holding it and crawling does not work. But holding a reg in with your jaws and crawling does. If you want to think what to do with your hands now, think about where your weight release is!

Entry is not so bad. Look for timming, a buddy and remember the surf usually rises during your dive. So- if its marginal upon entry its worse exiting. Thus, go have a vino and relax on the beach and dive another day. Don't push it here!

Greetings phlee,
I dive both sides often.
I'm not sure if I was the one that said deflate on exit but I agree with it.
For me being negative and turned side ways is a stable possition to ward off waves during my exit and entry timing.
I time my BC inflation on entry,but wont go into detail here.
Even though it happens I think falling down is a big thing.That is what brings most of the hurt for some.
If there is ANY question about my buddy I will stagger the entry and exits to assist if needed.
I walk in and walk out.
If I feel that I will be needing to crawl out I probably will "thumb" the dive.
I agree with most of what you said especially about not being complacment here.
This is not a place to learn on the internet.
Definately use a qualified guide to learn this place.
What works for me does not work for all so that should be taken into consideration.
Andy

I am firmly of the walk in (very quickly!) and walk out without fins on school (but I have involuntarily practiced the crawl plenty of times). It doesn't make sense to me to voluntarily crawl out and take the pounding if you don't have to. Exiting upright does require some strength, though, and it probably helps to be tall and heavy.

The worst entry I witnessed were two divers facing each with fins on holding both each other's hands walking sideways. Fortunately, they were with a group who were able to rescue them.

Physical condition.- It is a pretty good work out just getting from you vehicle to the water eh! That alone puts a bump on my pee pee.

I don't know how to ward off waves. Those things seem to have a mind of their own.

For sure a good thing to not dive there if crawling out is needed. VERY good rule of thumb. One I will implement. That was my point previous, this beach has changed. The depth at the edge has gotten shallow and longer over the last few seasons so it can change.

Navigating out-- I usually go in and out very close to the same place every time.
Walking In - best way to go for me. I did have an experience there once when a diver from another country was visiting. He had rental gear. When we got to the waters edge, and his fin straps were not adjusted. That became a fiasco and the dive eventually was aborted.

Falling down at Monetary Beach (SOUTH)--- It’s probably going to happen. That's one reason why crawling out is taught and recommended here.

Buddy system-- Take each other fins off.

Coming out I just let the wave push me into the shore and if there is not water then I stand up. But with my reg in. A rouge just may come knock me down or I loose my balance.

This is about the only place I recall crawling out. It just the (Terrain and Grain)
I prefer to stand and walk out in most paces along Monterey dive sites. There is usually rock or boulder to contend with close to shore and walking around them seems better that crawling or fining blindly into them.

For divers who want to dive here a good class will teach you.

If you’re new to diving practice the crawl say at Lover’s Point. Its usually very flat and a nice soft beach in the cove with very few rocks at shore. Then go to say Macabee beach. On a good day, one of my favorite places. You will probably run into a Sea Otter. There is also nice reef starting at the kelp bed. Here the shore is steeper so you can get the sense of a gentler upgrade on exiting. Someone once told be to be careful on the exit here because there is old rebar sticking out in the North section. I take their word for it.

Kelp Crawl--- A new thread or keep it going here?

Scubaroo:
I dived Monastery a number of times. Safest way to exit the water is to deflate your BC and crawl out with your regulator in your mouth. Just like climbing a boat ladder - keep your regulator in your mouth until you're out.

Unless you want to drown while the surge drags you back and forth & unless it is
completely calm, I would say keep your BC with at least SOME air. The way the
waves and surge can blow and relocate your bottom all over the place, I wouldn't
want to be fully deflated.

I think Phlee may have a point also...I don't know when you last dived Monastery,
Scubaroo, (I see you're in Melbourne Australia now), but it's very possible that
the beach has eroded, demoded, emoded, etc... It has changed.

Did I mention to anyone that this particular day the buoy was reporting 10'?
This just wasn't a good day to dive there in general. Folks from another board
with some experience under their belts aborted diving Pt. Lobos and Monastery.
This was on the entry...I suppose with those conditions though, just about anyone
could've gotten into trouble. (wave height for this day started at about 6' /1.95m
and climbed upwards all day, by 10am it had already reached almost 8' / 2.50m
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/data/stdmet/Oct/46042.txt )

It's good to get all this feedback and discussion going on this, whether we all
agree or disagree on the best way to enter/exit Monastery. At least we're willing to
discuss it, hear options from other divers with their own experiences, and who knows,
maybe save our own life or another diver's.

Please just keep passing the word along for people to really take this beach seriously.
IT IS AN AWESOME DIVE, NO DOUBT!! But it's not for the inexperienced or newbie
diver. If one ever needed to be in good shape for a dive, THIS is the dive.

phlee:
.....Kelp Crawl--- A new thread or keep it going here?

Probably a good thread on it's own....God knows I could use a little advice on that now
and again myself. Some days I'm good at it...other days I should've gotten a bigger
tank :05:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom