10 Mile Point Pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChillyWaters

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, thanks to Swank, I fixed my fogging problem (knock on wood). We went to 10 mile point today thinking that a huge slack tide meant no current. Well, that's not entirely true. Afterwards we were introduced to a "current table." Oh what a novel idea -- why don't they teach that in some class.

Anyways, still being able to fight the current, we got the following pics:

http://www.cs.uvic.ca/~sshelfor/photos/diving-2005-07-14/

Only the second dive with an unfogging camera. I'm surprised how well they turn out without the flash. If I use a flash, the pictures always seem ruined -- flash is evil.

- ChillyWaters

ChillyWaters:
Well, thanks to Swank, I fixed my fogging problem (knock on wood). We went to 10 mile point today thinking that a huge slack tide meant no current. Well, that's not entirely true. Afterwards we were introduced to a "current table." Oh what a novel idea -- why don't they teach that in some class.

Anyways, still being able to fight the current, we got the following pics:

http://www.cs.uvic.ca/~sshelfor/photos/diving-2005-07-14/

Only the second dive with an unfogging camera. I'm surprised how well they turn out without the flash. If I use a flash, the pictures always seem ruined -- flash is evil.

- ChillyWaters
What time did you dive? My current table showed a slack at around 4:30

nice pics

wedivebc:
What time did you dive? My current table showed a slack at around 4:30

nice pics

We were in between 1:30-2:30.

Are there standard current tables? Or are some better than others (i.e. perhaps more sites, etc.).

- ChillyWaters

ChillyWaters:

Are there standard current tables? Or are some better than others (i.e. perhaps more sites, etc.).

- ChillyWaters
I was told to use Race rocks and either add and 1/2 hr or subtract I forget which.

ChillyWaters:

- ChillyWaters
There are standard tables by the Canadian Hydrographic Service. You should be able to find them in dive shops, marine stores, Capital Iron, Queen's Publishers, etc. The two booklets I know of are the regular 8'x11' booklet for about $8 (you have to make the correction for daylight savings time in this one) and the spiral-bound, smaller, but thicker "Ports and Passes". Ports and Passes has tables for Washington State as well and includes small marine charts of each area. This one goes for about $20 and is my favorite. Far both of these books, you have to get a new one every year. For Ten Mile Point you want to look at the Race Passage current table and deduct 15 minutes (this is the correction for Baynes Channel which is around the corner from Ten Mile. I usually go in about 1/2 hour early (If you go in right at slack, you've just missed it and I'd rather go in when it's slowing down instead of speeding up.). As for the fogging, the problem may have gone away, but will be back as soon as you pay big money for the trip of a lifetime and jump in the water to take pictures of some pod of magical albino orcas. Bring along a dive slate and a crayon so at least you can draw pictures. Happy diving! I liked the picture of the decorator crab by the way. I've never had any luck with them.

Canadian Hydrographic Services is the government produced tides & currents publication used by the Navy and many civilian and merchant sailors. I'm 99% sure the local volume is vol 5.

I calculate Ten Mile Point as a secondary station in Haro or Baynes Channel. These locations are based on Race Rocks... the timing is 15 min earlier than the timings at Race Rocks (for slack and max ebbs & floods). The rate is approximately 75% of the rate encountered at Race Rocks.

After discussion with a couple of local dive shops, I created a "Tides and Currents" program/course/seminar. However, it's been a very hectic year for me and I haven't got around to going over the course content with them or setting up a time to do the seminar. Perhaps I should get my things together... and make it happen ?!

What kind of camera gear are you using here? Is that digital?

Did you shine a flashlight to brighten the area your shooting, or were you just near the surface? It seems very bright and I just love the colors.

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll have to go shopping next week.

NavyDoll:
After discussion with a couple of local dive shops, I created a "Tides and Currents" program/course/seminar. However, it's been a very hectic year for me and I haven't got around to going over the course content with them or setting up a time to do the seminar. Perhaps I should get my things together... and make it happen ?!

Get on it. I have two people who already want to sign up!

Rimp:
What kind of camera gear are you using here? Is that digital?

Did you shine a flashlight to brighten the area your shooting, or were you just near the surface? It seems very bright and I just love the colors.

Yup, it's digital. It's just a 3megapixel Canon S30 with associated housing. No flash, flashlight, etc.. I'm preferring natural light. The photos originally are VERY green, but you can alter the "white balance" to correct them to their natural colour.

- ChillyWaters

NavyDoll:
the timing is 15 min earlier than the timings at Race Rocks (for slack and max ebbs & floods).

So we got the current tables, and I just thought I'd throw in a small piece of missing information here. We were told to "add 45 minutes" from race passage, and thus we were initially confused by the difference of opinions. However, the current tables are posted in PST (ignoring daylight savings time), so when we are in daylight savings time, we are to add an hour to account for the time change. So, we are to subtract 15 minutes from race passage usually, but add 45 minutes between April and October, when we are observing daylight savings time.

I realize you probably meant this, but I wasn't aware the current tables ignore daylight savings time.

Cheers,
ChillyWaters

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom