100 % O2 Cleaning for AL80

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When we were buying "02 cleaned" valves and paying a $50 premium for the cleaning service, I found out on a factory visit that they were just taking them apart, cleaning with alcohol, re-lubricating what needed it with 02 safe silicon grease and reassembling. It's not rocket science so we started doing the same process in-house. These were for industrial machines, not breathing. No idea if that makes a difference.

The whole idea is to get rid of any grease and oils that might be reactive to 02. In reality, our customers DIY'd their own 02 setups with no 02 cleaning and I never heard of any issues. While I was gone for 2 weeks the employees replaced a couple of 02 valves with valves that had not been cleaned yet and I didn't know it till a year later. Those valves had 100% 02 flowing through them 12 hours a day 5 day a week for a year.

Just ask your LDS how they 02 clean valves and cylinders, and do that.
What is o2 safe silicone grease? I think that's an oxymoron.

They are still around, "new" old stock lol
I wouldn't want to pay a "new" price for any tank that's more than a few months out of original Hydro cert.

I would. If you take your tanks to the hydro place yourself a hydro should cost about 20 dollars a tank.
In 2022 Hydros were close to double that here. $35 + 10.1% sales tax. I havent taken any in for test in 2023 yet

You folks kill me...

LDS here charges over $70 for a hydro/vip/fill. That is why I got VIP certified and bought a compressor...

Oh, and the hydro facility is a crapshoot with condemning good tanks...

In 2022 Hydros were close to double that here. $35 + 10.1% sales tax. I havent taken any in for test in 2023 yet
It that there a dive shop hydro or a fire extinguisher service place hydro that the dive shops charge you to take your bottles to and get them tested?

Locally the fire extinguisher place charges $20. The local dive shop charges $55-65. But Gus, on the loading dock of the fire extinguisher place, tests them all for all the local dive shops that I know of. If you have an old 6351 tank, you have to take it to the industrial gas place which is further on the other side of town and charges $40 - but that includes the eddy test... And seemingly more knowledgeable personnel. But the fire place will not do any tank dated before 1990, so if the bottle is old...

It that there a dive shop hydro or a fire extinguisher service place hydro that the dive shops charge you to take your bottles to and get them tested?

Locally the fire extinguisher place charges $20. The local dive shop charges $55-65. But Gus, on the loading dock of the fire extinguisher place, tests them all for all the local dive shops that I know of. If you have an old 6351 tank, you have to take it to the industrial gas place which is further on the other side of town and charges $40 - but that includes the eddy test... And seemingly more knowledgeable personnel. But the fire place will not do any tank dated before 1990, so if the bottle is old...
I use Fire Safety & Cylinder Services in Seattle, WA | Fire King of Seattle
And it's in the $35 range without the VE test/stamp. I forget how much extra the VE is... $20 i think? Although basically only perhaps 1 LDS will fill a 6351 tank at this point anyway and many of the others have a "20 year" cutoff too.

Some of the LDS' do have their own hydro vessels and they are even more (but they include a VIP sticker). E.g. $45 at underwater sports. https://www.underwatersports.com/cylindertank-services/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom