Question Valve for 100% O2 Deco Bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That’s my plan. I’m glad to hear they work well too.
They may be good valves but not worth extra money. First time they get hooked up to a dive shops fill lines you have the potential for contamination and even if the valve “opens more slowly” you could still go boom. The reality is oxygen fires are not that common in our world. Mind you I’m not saying they don’t exist. Rather than rely on a piece of equipment to make you “feel” safer, choose to make good habits (slowly opening a valve, making sure you only use fill stations truly pumping clean gas) your priority. I would argue that 99% of tech divers don’t use these valves and ,ost of us live to tell the tale.
Dgx has great valves. Imo those special valves are unnecessary. But it’s just my opinion. But I also own my own fill station with a k14 compressor, electric boost pump, and completely separate manifold and fill whip setups to minimize cross contamination to my oxygen clean stuff. But honestly I believe oxygen safety in our field is over exaggerated. It takes common sense. Not sure about your local fill station, but I know a ton of fill stations, esp ow shops, where common sense has never been existed and they haven’t blown up yet.

"Necessary" or not, kudos to DGX for coming up with this option. Back when I bought my Al40s from them, they weren't offering an O2-specific valve. Do you believe other valve manufacturers in the tech-oriented market will follow suit? For a long time, the only O2-specific feature available from any valve manufacturer was a green handwheel and a promise that it was factory-clean and that O2-compatible lube had been used.

It makes more sense to get into a habit of O2 cleaning than to rely on gear to be O2 clean or O2 "suitable". You can get the O2 valve, but should still O2 clean, in which case either valve will work and which valve you get is a moot point.

I shoot for a yearly O2 clean but if I'm being really honest I fall short on that. It probably ends up being every other year.

"Necessary" or not, kudos to DGX for coming up with this option. Back when I bought my Al40s from them, they weren't offering an O2-specific valve. Do you believe other valve manufacturers in the tech-oriented market will follow suit? For a long time, the only O2-specific feature available from any valve manufacturer was a green handwheel and a promise that it was factory-clean and that O2-compatible lube had been used.
Or it's all a marketing ploy and basically irrelevant compared to valve seat contamination via fills and grungy whips and DIN threads.

There are other slow opening valves. This thread discusses the "best valves" which is a highly subjective topic. The "best" secret is the Thermo valves that DGX routinely sells at bargain prices - $70 for two!

This is where OSHA and other folks may get mad at me... I won't go into details, but will say that I've seen a few of them on O2 tanks. Look up these valves using the search function.

Cheers~

The slow-opening valve sounds appealing, but I use my deco and stage regs interchangeably, and I'm not sure I'd want a stage reg that takes many more turns to open or close.

I own one of these DGX valves. I can confirm it takes many revolutions to fully open, which I find a pain on a deco bottle. I only dive 50% O2 anyhow, so I'll likely switch to a standard valve.

I'd use the valve with 100% though.

It's possible I find it a nuisance because I use a Mk25 as a deco reg. The way the reg is placed only leaves a little room on the hand wheel for my fingers. If I switched to a non-swivel stage reg, I could get a better grip on the hand wheel and would probably like it more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom