Titanium Regulators + O2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been using Atomic B2's (which have titanium air barrels in the 2nd stages) on all my stage/deco regulators for years, and know many people who have done so for decades. None of us have ever had any problems. That being said I wouldn't want to condone it, for fear of inheriting liability. I would personally dive titanium 2nd stages on any mix, though I can't say the same about titanium 1st stages.

All that being said, you're bound to collect more regulators at some point if you stick with it long enough. If you are concerned, use it as an excuse to collect more gear :)

I’ve never read a detailed account of a scuba related Ti fire, but I have seen the detailed analysis of a 100% Oxygen Al tank that internally ignited, apparently after it was dropped according to the surviving witness. Not a good scene.

Woulda metal lever or seat moving continously with every breath, or if any sand got in the system causing more friction expose fresh titanium?

While it is conceivable that silicone dioxide, the most abundant particle in sand, could remove a titanium dioxide layer, because it is harder, this is of no concern for several reasons.

1. The lever that operates the poppet is not exposed to intermediate pressure on the second stages that come to my mind.
  2. I doubt that friction caused by the moving parts would cause any significant heat, even if some grit got into them. The movements are relatively slow.

The problem with a fast moving particle striking a titanium layer would be that it removes a layer of titanium-oxide quickly, while also generating heat when it loses it's kinetic energy in the collision. The combination of quickly exposing a fresh layer of titanium and the addition of heat is what could potentially cause a problem.

Again, different alloys will react in different ways and I personally do not know which titanium alloys are used by which brands. The problem I see with titanium is that it's an absolute bitch once the whole process of ignition started. It will burn until the complete system is consumed. Brass on the other hand is to a certain degree suppressive.

You're going to need to keep that O2 first stage O2 clean, so if you want your regs to be interchangeable they'll all need to be kept O2 clean. It seems like it would just be easier to dedicate a suitable regulator to your O2 bottle, solving both the O2 cleaning and titanium issues.​

It could happen if the valves are quickly opened.

Attachments

• dfsgfgsfgsfgsdfg.jpg
    dfsgfgsfgsfgsdfg.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 69
Yeah it could happen, but only with a few other stupidities included
And so shall the superstitions, from the parotting villagers continue

Know your gear or get out

It could happen if the valves are quickly opened.

I'm a little confused about what ignited there exactly. It looks more like a hose was the cause, or am I misinterpreting something here?

Could I keep this picture for future references?

I'm a little confused about what ignited there exactly. It looks more like a hose was the cause, or am I misinterpreting something here?

Could I keep this picture for future references?
It looks to have been the O2 tank’s valve. But it’s hard to say for sure with the tank (understandably) not in the picture.

Also to clarify, considering the topic of this thread, this Oxygen fire in the valve was not a result of a titanium part being exposed to Oxygen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom