12/1 Spearfishing Pensacola

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swander

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Seas were around 2 ft. vis was great and there was no current! Just plenty of fish to shoot! Enjoy

[video=vimeo;33065238]http://vimeo.com/33065238[/video]

Nice video. What bottom temps did you guys get?

OK, where do I start....

Let me preface this by saying I spent many years spearfishing the Russian Freighter in Pensacola, so I am no "fish hugger". BUT, you shot a trigger fish? With all those tasty game fish all over the place? Was there no fish, turtle or critter you were not wanting to poke prod or harass? When I spear fished, I went after only game fish. When I saw something I did not want to take, like a turtle or ray, I would watch it and leave it the heck alone. Why grab, poke and chase it?

And, since I am a law enforcement firearms instructor, I was horrified by how many times the buddy was "swepped" by the filmer's spear. YIKES!!

I loved spearfishing and I especially loved fresh seafood. But, all the divers I fished with would never have been as careless as the video seemed to show here. Just saying....

Let me preface this by saying I spent many years spearfishing the Russian Freighter in Pensacola, so I am no "fish hugger". BUT, you shot a trigger fish? With all those tasty game fish all over the place?

You have obviously never eaten a triggerfish. Arguably the finest tasting fish in the sea. If it's legal, and ethically taken, then no one will be interested in your complaints. Personally, I don't spearfish for sport, I spearfish to put food on the table. If you want sport, then hunt grizzlies with a switchblade.

Was there no fish, turtle or critter you were not wanting to poke prod or harass? When I spear fished, I went after only game fish. When I saw something I did not want to take, like a turtle or ray, I would watch it and leave it the heck alone. Why grab, poke and chase it?

Please don't touch the turtles. It's probably illegal, and they're more likely to be friendly with you if you're giving off a good vibe, and not trying to paw them. Turtles that want to be touched will snuggle with you.

And, since I am a law enforcement firearms instructor, I was horrified by how many times the buddy was "swepped" by the filmer's spear. YIKES!!

I would ask my buddy to be more aware of his gun, and endeavor to do the same with my own.

I loved spearfishing and I especially loved fresh seafood. But, all the divers I fished with would never have been as careless as the video seemed to show here. Just saying....

Some folks are old salts, and some folks are just learning. Most people learn to spearfish by jumping in the water and shooting a fish. Bad habits are easy to pick up, and hard to drop. One of the great things about videotaping your dives is noticing your own mistakes. I know I've learned a great deal about myself and my bad diving habits by reviewing video. It's easy to not be the best diver when you're deep and hunting. Breathing, producing, and retaining excess narcotic gasses (CO2, Nitrogen) while your attention id divided.

You have obviously never eaten a triggerfish. Arguably the finest tasting fish in the sea. If it's legal, and ethically taken, then no one will be interested in your complaints. Personally, I don't spearfish for sport, I spearfish to put food on the table. If you want sport, then hunt grizzlies with a switchblade.

Please don't touch the turtles. It's probably illegal, and they're more likely to be friendly with you if you're giving off a good vibe, and not trying to paw them. Turtles that want to be touched will snuggle with you.

I would ask my buddy to be more aware of his gun, and endeavor to do the same with my own.

Some folks are old salts, and some folks are just learning. Most people learn to spearfish by jumping in the water and shooting a fish. Bad habits are easy to pick up, and hard to drop. One of the great things about videotaping your dives is noticing your own mistakes. I know I've learned a great deal about myself and my bad diving habits by reviewing video. It's easy to not be the best diver when you're deep and hunting. Breathing, producing, and retaining excess narcotic gasses (CO2, Nitrogen) while your attention id divided.

If you asked people in Pensacola, I would bet 99% of those people said trigger was their favorite. If I see a trigger, you bet your a$$ I would shoot it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Thank yall for your comments. I had no idea that you were not allowed to touch a turtle. Made well over 100 dives this summer and it is only the second one that I have seen. I also feel that any time I was near the other diver my gun was pointed at the sand or up. Thanks again for your comments.

Oh, the trigger fish was absolutely delicious!!

I also feel that any time I was near the other diver my gun was pointed at the sand or up.

In all honesty, it's hard to tell from a video, especially with the lens you have on your camera (a go-pro maybe?). It's hard to judge distances when you're not there in person, especially underwater. Things looked too close for comfort a few times, but you were actually there, and can judge better than we can watching a video. If the discussion causes any of us to be a safer diver/hunter, then it's all good anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom