12-2 Manatee dive Crystal River

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelster:
Mike and I had a wonderful time...even though we aborted that dive. My light crapped out on me and since we were the last ones in the cavern, it really silted up. We decided to play around at the opening of the spring and had more manatees play with us...so it worked out better anyway.

American Pro was definately a good shop....I will be sure to recommend them in the future!

I felt way differently about that shop. Johnny and I were to be on that boat with you guys. We confirmed with them about that several times.

Anyway, bummer we didn't get to hang out. 'tis always nice making friends with a new SB'er. We skipped the cavern as well. Those manatees were seriously fantastic though!

Missdirected:
I felt way differently about that shop. Johnny and I were to be on that boat with you guys. We confirmed with them about that several times.

Anyway, bummer we didn't get to hang out. 'tis always nice making friends with a new SB'er. We skipped the cavern as well. Those manatees were seriously fantastic though!
I had only heard good things about them but never used them I used a shop across the street, Birds Underwater. What didn't you like about them. PM me if ya want.

Birds is the one we were going to go with until I found this thread. When talking to other shops in Florida, they recommend either of those two shops for the Crystal River area.

I personally think the dive master makes all the difference. And out of all my dive experiences away from home, this one was definately the most enjoyable. The thing that impressed me most was that he seemed to know exactly where everyone was at any given point of the day.

pir8:
I had only heard good things about them but never used them I used a shop across the street, Birds Underwater. What didn't you like about them. PM me if ya want.

well more than once we told them we were a group (with divergirl and all). DM treated us like idiots and interfered more than once with our buddy plan (conversation between John and I). John was taking a moment to get used to the surrounding of the cave and the DM continually blew his whistle. He ignored and wanted to argue with me. When I gave him specific signals that we were aborting the dive. I literally had to go over to him, give the sarcastic hello wave (the one that says hey stupid pay attention) before he would stop the screeching with the whistle.

Drift dive w/ owner. John was made fun of for his gear :11: We (john and I privately) were discussing how everyone has a method to gearing up. I was saying, I even have a method to packing, so I don't forget stuff. We were told to forget that, we would do it his way... Didn't even know he was invading our private conversation. Getting into the water, I told him my air was on to please not mess w/ it. My personal tank, I do not open all the way. He said he was doing it his way.

You get a lot of this type that treat you as if it is your first open water. Down here there are soooo many tourists. People don't usually come back. So they have your money, they don't care.

The real pisser in the end is divergirl set this up. We told them more than once we were with her. Our only reason of going really at that time, since I do live here, was to meet more SB peeps. Their thought process... we got our money, we got you in the water, you saw manatee, now get out. Nicely said of course. :wink:

That doesn't sound like a good experence. I can see how the whistle thing would be very annoying too.

eandiver:
That doesn't sound like a good experence. I can see how the whistle thing would be very annoying too.

Still I kinda knew better. Bottom line, we enjoyed the hell out of those manatees! That was incredible. Hey I know better next time - should have listened to a certain someone anyway :)

Hind sight is 20/20...but a suggestion for next time is to book it as a club event. It also would've been nice if we knew who we were diving with and who they were on the site...we just sort of pieced together who everyone was. Missdirected...were you the one in the BMW?

Like I said before...the divemaster makes all the difference.

Missdirected:
Still I kinda knew better. Bottom line, we enjoyed the hell out of those manatees! That was incredible. Hey I know better next time :)

Yes the Manatess where great ... Girl next time we just get a boat and our friends and spend the whole day playing :14: who needs a stinking DM :mooner:
Kim P

Divergirl4u:
Yes the Manatess where great ... Girl next time we just get a boat and our friends and spend the whole day playing :14: who needs a stinking DM :mooner:
Kim P

Most definitely. I have told everyone about the great manatee experience. Definitely renting our own boat next time! I'll be captain :D :D :D

Kelster, yes I had the BMW. :wink:

Our club planned a trip down to Florida a few years ago (ouch...10) and we rented a pontoon boat for the day. We played with the manatee and then just toodled about the area. We had a lot of fun. Can't remember who we rented from though. I keep hounding Mike to post a pic of our dive with the manatee, but he never remembers to do it.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom